I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

April UNAMI update

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1April UNAMI update Empty April UNAMI update Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 pm

windreader1

April forecast for Security Council

Iraq – UNAMI
Resolution 2001 (2011) of 28 July 2011
Para. 6: requests the Secretary-General to report to the Security Council every 4 months on the progress made towards the fulfilment of all of the responsibilities of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI).

The report of the Secretary-General dated 28 March 2012 (S/2012/185) is before the Security Council.
Iraq – Oil for food
Resolution 1958 (2010) of 15 December 2010
Para.8: requests the Secretary-General to report and provide analysis to the Council on the usage and expenditure of the escrow account referenced in paragraphs 4 and 5 on an annual basis, the first no later than 31 March 2012, with the final report occurring three months after the transfer of any remaining funds retained for the purposes of paragraphs 4 and 5 to the Government of Iraq by 31 December 2016, unless otherwise authorized by the Security Council;
The report of the Secretary-General is expected to be issued in early April.

April 10th--Security Council agenda

UNAMI Briefing--AM

UNAMI Consultations--AM

Excerpt from Secretary General's UNAMI report

United Nations
Security Council Distr.: General 29 March 2012
Original: English
Second report of the Secretary-General pursuant to resolution 2001 (2011)

Observations

60. Following the completion of the withdrawal of the United States forces, Iraq has entered a new chapter in its history. Despite the many difficulties along the way, the Iraqi people have been steadfast in their commitment to rebuilding a country that has suffered from decades of war, sanctions and economic decline. Following two national elections as well as the adoption of a Constitution, and the holding of provincial elections, the Iraqi people should be proud of their achievements in building a young democracy in the Arab world.

61. The current political situation, however, underscores the many outstanding issues that have yet to be resolved in order to achieve national reconciliation. I am concerned that if these issues are not addressed in a meaningful way, through an inclusive dialogue, they could lead to renewed political tensions and adversely impact the security situation in the country. I therefore urge the Iraqi political leaders to seize this opportunity and work in a spirit of national unity towards delivering a peaceful and prosperous future for Iraq.

62. In this context, the national conference proposed by President Talabani could provide an important opportunity to bring the current stalemate to an end and set in motion a dialogue that could address outstanding political differences. I urge all concerned to redouble their efforts to make this conference a success and ensure that it is held in a spirit of inclusiveness, compromise and partnership, within the framework of the Constitution. UNAMI stands ready to lend all the necessary support to such an initiative.

63. I believe that an improvement in issues pertaining to the disputed internal boundaries remains central to Iraq’s future stability. However, the current political deadlock is hindering efforts to resolve these and other related issues. I regret that the standing consultative mechanism, which has been a useful forum to bring key stakeholders together to address such issues under the auspices of UNAMI, has been unable to reconvene for the time being. I therefore urge the Iraqi leaders to reaffirm their commitment to resolve pending Arab-Kurdish issues and work together, with the support of UNAMI, to build trust and find common ground.

64. I welcome the progress made in the appointment of a new Board of Commissioners of the Independent High Electoral Commission with a view to the completion of the selection process by April 2012, as stipulated in the electoral law. In that regard, I welcome the steps taken by the Committee of Experts of the Council of Representatives to agree on a set of criteria for evaluating applications and to promote transparency, including through the publication of Committee proceedings and the participation of civil society organizations. I strongly encourage the Iraqi authorities to continue to adhere to a timely, transparent and credible selection process. I would also like to reiterate the commitment of the United Nations to supporting a smooth transition and to provide capacity-building assistance to the Electoral Commission as it embarks on a busy electoral calendar.

65. I am encouraged that Iraq and Kuwait remain committed to normalizing their relations and resolving all outstanding issues. In this regard, I welcome the recent visit by Prime Minister Al-Maliki to Kuwait and the constructive discussions on addressing Iraq’s outstanding obligations under relevant Security Council resolutions, as well as bilateral issues. The planned second meeting of the Joint Ministerial Committee in April 2012 is an important opportunity to address all outstanding issues and ensure proper implementation of agreements reached. Iraq’s decisive steps to fulfil all its remaining obligations under relevant Security Council resolutions continue to be essential in ensuring Iraq’s return to the international standing it held prior to 1990. To this end, the United Nations is committed to providing all the necessary assistance and my Special Representative is ready to facilitate mutually acceptable solutions in this regard.

66. I am pleased by the announcement that the next League of Arab States summit will be held in Baghdad on 29 March. It is an important recognition of the role that Iraq plays in the region. It also underscores how far Iraq has come in reintegrating itself into the Arab world. I would urge member States of the League to use this opportunity to begin a new sustained engagement with Iraq.

67. Notwithstanding the general improvement in the security situation in recent years, I remain concerned by the high level of attacks on civilians, which continue to take place on an almost daily basis. I am also concerned by the continued and increased implementation of the death penalty in the country. I therefore once again urge the Iraqi authorities to establish a moratorium on the use of the death penalty, in accordance with General Assembly resolution 62/149.

68. I welcome recent efforts aimed at strengthening the human rights legislative and institutional framework in Iraq, including the adoption of legislation by the Council of Representatives to ratify the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the adoption of the National Action Plan on Human Rights. I call upon the Government of Iraq to take further steps to ensure that the fundamental rights and freedoms of all Iraqis are protected. To that end, it is important to establish the Independent High Commission for Human Rights without further delay.

69. I am encouraged that peaceful and orderly transfers from Camp New Iraq to Camp Hurriya have commenced. While I welcome the cooperation of the Government of Iraq and the residents, I would like to remind them of the need to continue to engage in this process in a spirit of goodwill and good faith. I remain concerned by the possibility of escalation and violence, which must be avoided and would be unacceptable. I wish to reiterate that the Government of Iraq bears the primary responsibility for the security of the residents, who must also fully abide by the laws of Iraq.

70. I welcome the beginning of the refugee status determination of the residents of Camp Hurriya, a time-consuming process, and I urge Member States to swiftly offer resettlement opportunities to eligible residents and to continue to support the efforts of UNAMI and UNHCR by providing the necessary financial assistance for the conduct of United Nations activities. It is essential that the three steps, relocation, refugee status determination and resettlement, take place concurrently to achieve a durable solution to this humanitarian issue. The United Nations will continue to lend all the necessary support to this process, pursuant to the memorandum of understanding of 25 December 2011.

71. The Iraqi people are looking to their leaders to do more to address the urgent development challenges that face the country, especially with respect to the delivery of essential services and the repair of infrastructure. In this regard, I welcome the Government’s continued commitment to taking a responsible role in leading the national development process. I am particularly appreciative that the authorities have approved an allocation of $85 million in the 2012 budget to co-finance projects in partnership with the international community, including the United Nations agencies, funds and programmes, in furtherance of the implementation of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework for Iraq. I call upon Member States to further contribute to the Fund to foster the implementation of development programmes so crucial to Iraq’s future.

72. The high number of displaced persons within Iraq, many of whom are living in harsh conditions, remains a cause for concern. I encourage the Government to continue to work with the United Nations to find a durable solution to the problem of displacement through urban planning and land allocation. I am also concerned that a further deterioration of the situation in the Syrian Arab Republic could have an impact on Iraq and lead to an outflow of refugees or seriously affect the estimated 1 million Iraqi refugees who currently reside in the Syrian Arab Republic.

73. As the United Nations remains fully committed to supporting the Government and the people of Iraq, the continuing absence of a status-of-mission agreement for UNAMI adversely affects the ability of the Mission and the United Nations to carry out their mandated activities. I understand that the Government is very close to completing its internal review of the draft agreement. I urge the Government and the relevant Iraqi authorities to take the necessary steps to ensure that the agreement can be brought into force without further delay.

2April UNAMI update Empty Re: April UNAMI update Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:37 pm

windreader1

Report is not that favorable.

3April UNAMI update Empty Re: April UNAMI update Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:41 pm

gente

gente

Iraq is a joke..they will never get their act together...

4April UNAMI update Empty Re: April UNAMI update Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Just_AL

Just_AL

So,RV this weekend may not happen...again?

5April UNAMI update Empty Re: April UNAMI update Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:34 pm

MrsCK

sheesh I think the reports of 2006 where better then this one. agggggggg

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum