I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iraq elections chief sets near deadline

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Iraq elections chief sets near deadline Empty Iraq elections chief sets near deadline Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:42 am

Iraq elections chief sets near deadline

Nov 04, 2009 at 00:28

BAGHDAD - The head of Iraq's Independent High Electoral Commission warned that Thursday is the deadline for parliament to adopt an electoral law if January's general election is to be held on time.

"The electoral commission held talks with the United Nations on Tuesday to discuss the timetable," IHEC chief Faraj al-Haidari told the private Al-Sharqiya television channel.

"We must receive the law in the next two days, otherwise we will be unable to hold the election on the scheduled date of January 16," he said.

"There is material relating to the election, and international companies need time to print it. Fifteen thousand polling stations have to be made ready for the election, as do 50,000 personnel."

The electoral law is supposed to be in place 90 days before voting takes place. Constitutionally, the election must be held by January 31.

MPs are deadlocked over the status of the oil-rich northern province of Kirkuk, an ethnically mixed region along the border with autonomous Iraqi Kurdistan.

Kirkuk's majority Kurds have long demanded incorporation into the autonomous region, arousing fierce opposition from the province's Arabs and Turkmen.

"The next two days are crucial," Haidari said. "If the new electoral law is not adopted or if the amendments to the old law are not voted through, that means it will be impossible to hold the election on January 16."

Parliament has already held several sessions to discuss the bill, but without a vote.
The issue remains deadlocked despite intense lobbying from the United Nations and the United States, as well as pressure from Iraqi religious leaders and Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum