I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Government is formed?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Government is formed? Empty Government is formed? Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp/39679567#39679567

LISTEN VERY CLOSELY AT about the 2:08 mark. . . affraid

AWESOME! THANKS GOLDENFINCE!!! GREAT FIND!!!!

2Government is formed? Empty Re: Government is formed? Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Rats I can't listen to it. Thanks pan

3Government is formed? Empty Re: Government is formed? Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:07 pm

tickybud

I listened and watched this twice to make sure I heard correctly and the interviewee did in fact say that Iraq had a gov't. Now whether he was talking about an interim "caretaker" gov't or a newly seated one, I'm not sure....

4Government is formed? Empty Re: Government is formed? Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:12 pm

azdinar

Transcript:

>> today and yesterday and just the last two days, 14 nato troops have been killed in avgs six killed yesterday, eight more killed today in five separate attacks. while violence is ramping up, efforts to end the war are taking some really dramatic turns. in addition to fighting the taliban on the increasingly deadly battlefields of afghanistan, u.s.-led forces there are also now, quote, permitting the movement of senior taliban leaders to attend initial peace talks in kabul. think about that for a second. mine everybody has admitted far while that the war will end in afghanistan the way most wars end, through talking, through negotiation. general petraeus late last month started prepping the u.s. public for that when he started you lining the conditions. he said, quote, this is how you end these kinds of insurgencies. it's understandable enough in theory. these things end by talking. but in practice, it is harder to fathom. u.s. forces knowing who senior taliban leaders are, knowing where they are, and knowingly letting them pass safely on their way to kabul and then presumably back home against to keep fightingup troops. joining us now a senior fell low for american progress. he specializes in the middle east and south asia. brian, thank you for being here. we appreciate your time.

>> hi, rachel.

>> it is tough leading taliban leaders pass safely when so many u.s. troops are being killed by the taliban. the only reason it makes sense is if these negotiations are going to end the war. do you really think it's likely they are?

>> i i don't think anyone really knows the answer to that question. i would draw a parallel to iraq. a big part of it is we reached out. today we actually have an iraqi government that actually has political forces that has american blood on their hands. that's a part of the nature of these conflicts, you know.

>> in terms of the parallel with iraq, one of the things that happened in 2006 is the insurgent groups on their own ? decided they wanted to be a part of negotiating some sort of solution, some sort of solution that excluded groups like say al qaeda in iraq. once those insurgent groups decided that on their own, u.s. forces decided to get in and try to facilitate it. is that same sort of thing happening where this is happening organically among afghans and that we are just trying to help or are we making this happen?

>> i think it may be happening organically. the key factor here, the difference, is pakistan and the fact that in pakistan a lot of these militant groups have a safe haven and we know this. u.s. operations have gone across the border. there have been multiple drone strikes there and they have supported elements of the insur jepcy. so they're the key wild card that make it a little bit more complicated than iraq and we have to be careful about these parallels. this is very complicated. i would categorize these talks and everything that secretary gates is talking about in brussels right now as very important but also easier said than done. easy to execute but hard to get right.

>> are we count tong afghan government to be able to come to an enfofrs forceable deal or will we be involved in trying to make it happen and will be involved in trying to make it stick?

>> i think the u.s. has been involved in multiple efforts for several years to bring some elements of the taliban back in. think the only way it really works is if this is an afghan-led process. if karzai and others in the afghan government can actually facilitate a power-sharing deal. if it's seen to be something that we execute ourselves, it may not sustain itself, and at the end of the day, all of the parties have got to agree to it. i think the news reports in "the wall street journal" and "the new york times" you're talking about allude to a nato official says the u.s. has facilitated some travel. a lot of this has happened before, too, in places like saudi arabia. there have been talks for years, and i think we need to wait to see if there's more there in terms of whether there's a sustainable agreement here.

>> right. and one of the things i know that you have worked on and studied is the connection between the war effort and americans' feelings about the war.

>> right.

>> if this is the way the war ends, either in the short term, 5 term, or, god forbid, the mgd the long term, tell us how it plays out here. we installeded ten years later that government make as deal with the taliban. how does that play out here among the american public?

>> well, thing the key factor, number one, is done the american public perceive we're safer as a result of all these actions? we're in afghanistan because of the 9/11 attacks, and i think if through ice a sense that we actually degraded al qaeda and others, i think if we passed the theest -- i think we have passed the test when you hear 50 to 100 al qaeda representatives perhaps in afghanistan-- then beyond that oochz, think there's this issue of most americans today, sadly, i think, are disconnected from these wars. know you were out in afghanistan earlier this summer. the burden of these wars are actually being borne mostly by the troops, other people serving in the u.s. government and their families. that's a very narrow slice of the american public and because we're financing this war and all of the wars on borrowed money, most americans don't feel the financial impact of this. so the sad thing is when you look at the midterm elections and the politics of national security the vast majority of americans aren't affected by what's going on right now and this disconnection, think, is one of the most dangers things. so i, you know, think there'll be less attention to how this ends if it ends peacefully.

>> which is bad in the sense of our moral obligation to be connected to this fighting and dieing in our name.

>> absolutely.

>> and it may be good in the soechbs actually trying to wind doubtdown the war without it being politicized and extended for fame and glory. brian katulis. thank you very much for joining us. appreciate

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum