I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

IMF's Lagarde heads to Moscow for debt crisis talks

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

IMF's Lagarde heads to Moscow for debt crisis talks

Sun Nov 6, 2011 10:48am EST Print This Article | Single Page[-]

Lagarde, scheduled to arrive on Sunday evening for her first visit to Russia since becoming the managing director of the IMF, will spend two days convincing Moscow to chip in some of its petro dollars to boost bailout funds for the euro zone.

From Moscow, Lagarde is to travel to China and Japan.

In a typically terse statement, the Kremlin said that President Dmitry Medvedev will talk with Lagarde about the "current issues of today's global economy and its finances, international efforts to stabilize them ... as well as further steps to stabilize the global financial system."

Moscow has said it is willing to talk bilaterally with affected countries, but it has been very careful in pledging cash to the eurozone as a whole.

Finance Ministry officials have said repeatedly that Russia needs clarity and full briefing on Europe's rescue plan, including who would carry financial responsibility for the aid.

Russia's government has pledged so far only up to $10 billion and only to be used through an IMF mechanism.

It is a fraction of the 1 trillion euros that Europe's leaders aim to have available through the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF).

The $10 billion is also a fraction of Russia's gold and foreign exchange reserves, which now stand at more than half a trillion dollars and are the world's third-largest.

It is also old money - Russia said in early 2009 it was ready to invest $10 billion in bonds that the IMF was considering issuing. Those bonds were to be potentially tailored to the so-called BRIC countries, which aside from Russia include Brazil, India and China.

At the time, the bonds were planned to be issued in an IMF quasicurrency called special drawing rights, or SDR, created in 1969 as a way to support its member countries.

SDRs are allocated according to members' IMF quotas, which are broadly based on a country's relative size in the world economy and which determines its voting power.

Late last week, sources told Reuters that the Group of 20 most industrialized global economies is considering boosting global liquidity through a special allocation of SDRs.

gente

gente

More talks...they are as bad as the Iraqis..just get it done ya worthless fools!! thx Pan

MrsCK

From Moscow, Lagarde is to travel to China and Japan.

I hope they all tell her to "stick it" when it comes to anything for the euro

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum