I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kuwaiti embassy reopens amid hope and controversy

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gente

gente

Kuwaiti embassy reopens amid hope and controversy

13/02/2012 15:30

Baghdad, Feb. 13 (AKnews) - The Kuwaiti Embassy in Iraq reopened on Sunday, and is hoped to promote commercial and investment relations between the two countries.

The embassy, in the international zone in Baghdad, is expected to continue it's role in resolving the many problems that exist between Iraq and Kuwait and the periodic tensions that sometimes arise.

Iraq and Kuwait formed joint committees to mediate over situations, in particular, the problem of war compensation after the invasion of Kuwait by Saddam Hussein's regime in 1991, the demarcation of the border, missing Kuwaitis and joint oil fields.

After the Kuwaiti invasion, sanctions were imposed on Iraq from the international community and the country was classed under Chapter VII, a nation that threatens global security.

In April, Kuwait laid the foundation stone for the Mubarak port in the Bubiyan Island, the second largest island (890 sq km) in the Arabian Gulf after the Iranian island of Qeshm.

Baghdad and other Iraqi cities witnessed protests over the Kuwaiti project to build a Kuwaiti port on an island adjacent to the Iraqi waterway.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki threatened Kuwait earlier of turning to the United Nations if the Technical Committee discovered the existence of economic and shipping damages in Iraq due to the location of the port.

According to Iraqi experts, the development will extend the Kuwaiti coast by 500 km, while the Iraqi coast would be limited to ​​a 50 km area.

They warn that the project may cause a new political crisis between the two neighboring countries because it will close the only sea port in Iraq.

By Jaafar al-Wannan

RN/SS/AKnews

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum