I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turkey Realigning Exchange Rate, Ready to Defend Lira

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

Turkey Realigning Exchange Rate, Ready to Defend Lira

By Ercan Ersoy - Mar 29, 2012 4:07 AM MT

Turkey’s central bank embarked on an “orderly realignment” of the exchange rate to help curb loan growth and its ready to defend the currency should that be needed, said Turalay Kenc, the bank’s deputy governor.

Over-valuation of the lira, credit growth and the current account gap became major challenges for Turkey and other emerging market countries when capital inflows started in late 2010, Kenc said in a speech at a conference in Istanbul today.

The central bank has the instruments and currency reserves to defend the lira against possible speculative attacks, Kenc said. Volatility in the lira is “low and we like it,” he said.

The lira declined 0.1 percent to 1.7825 per dollar at 2:04 p.m. in Istanbul. The lira gained 6 percent this year after declining 18 percent in 2011, the biggest drop among currencies globally.

To contact the reporter on this story: Ercan Ersoy in Istanbul at eersoy@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Benedikt Kammel at bkammel@bloomberg.net

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...d-lira-1-.html

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum