I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

UN Secretary General comments on Chapter VII

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

windreader1

UN chief praises HH Amir''s decree on Iraqi Airways
17/11/2012 | 12:52 PM | Gulf News

UNITED NATIONS, Nov 17 (KUNA) -- United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has praised a decree issued by His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah approving a settlement for the Iraqi Airways issue.

The UN chief, late on Friday, described as a "positive development" the Amir of Kuwait's decree of October 23rd, endorsing the July 18 agreement on the Iraqi Airways issue between the Governments of Iraq and Kuwait, paving the way to a final resolution of the Kuwaiti lawsuits against Iraqi Airways.

On October 23, His Highness signed Decree No. 23 for 2012, endorsing a deal on the settlement of the financial dispute between the Government of the State of Kuwait and the Government of the Republic of Iraq. It approved the pact reached by the two sides on July 18, 2012, to settle the financial dispute between (the formerly named) Kuwait Airways Corporation (KAC) and Iraq Airways and stop litigations in this regard.

The decree showed that the KAC filed a number of lawsuits against Iraqi Airways, the Government, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Transport and other state institutions in Iraq, claiming damages from the Iraqi side.

On Kuwaiti-Iraqi relations, Ban said despite their "noticeable improvement" early this year, these bilateral ties are "still characterized by a mutual lack of confidence" because of Iraq's failure to fulfill its remaining outstanding Chapter VII obligations to Kuwait.

This, he explained in a periodic report to the Security Council on the work of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), is "due to lack of progress on the fulfillment by Iraq of its outstanding Chapter VII obligations pertaining to Kuwait, as well as on the resolution of a number of bilateral issues." He said that at the joint request of both Governments, the UN completed on October 1st the procurement process for the Iraq-Kuwait Boundary Maintenance Project (IKBMP) pursuant to Security Council 833 of 1993. He noted that the UN IKBMP technical team deployed to Kuwait throughout October in order to be ready to start field maintenance work on October 31 as requested by the parties.

However, he added, "to date, the Government of Iraq has not removed the inter-boundary pillars obstacles despite an earlier agreement with the Government of Kuwait in this regard." "Also, to date, the Government of Iraq has yet to respond to the United Nations proposal to transfer the funds for the payment of compensation to Iraqi private citizens pursuant to Security Council resolution 899 of 1994," he added.

"A historic opportunity is at hand for Iraq and Kuwait to normalize their relations and for Iraq to bring to an end its outstanding obligations under Chapter VII of the UN Charter," Ban said.

"I urge both parties to pursue their efforts, with good will and a firm commitment, to build on the progress they have made thus far, and to implement all agreements reached between them," he said, vowing that he and UNAMI will not spare an effort to continue to engage with both sides to support and sustain the necessary progress.

Referring to Gennady Tarasov, his High-level Coordinator for the repatriation of all Kuwaiti and third country nationals or their remains and the return of Kuwaiti Property, Ban said he "continued efforts" in accordance with his mandate, meeting with officials on both sides.

At the regional level, Ban said that as a neighbor of Syria, Iraq faces "increasingly serious ramifications from the ongoing conflict. This remains a source of grave concern. I urge the Government of Iraq to maintain its borders open" to Syrian refugees and its willingness to extend to them its hospitality and protection.

He said that in response to Iraq's call, the United Nations will pursue its efforts in coordination with the Government and relevant organizations, to respond to the needs of the Syrian refugees, urging Member States to do their utmost to ensure that the response to the Syrian refugee crisis is "fully funded." On the political situation in Iraq, Ban said relations continue to be strained between the country's political leaders, "preventing progress on issues critical to the country's future." "In order to preserve the notable achievements Iraq has made in completing its transition to a democratic state, it is essential that its leaders reach a consensus on a way forward. I therefore once again call on them to engage in a meaningful and constructive dialogue to resolve their differences. Iraq's political leaders owe it to the citizens of Iraq who elected them to work together and pass important outstanding legislation in a spirit of partnership and national unity," he urged.

He said he is also concerned by recent signs of increased tensions between the Government of Iraq and the Kurdistan Regional Government.

"These hamper progress on longstanding issues, including the disputed internal boundaries, the resolution of which is essential to Iraq's stability. I urge both sides to work together constructively and welcome their agreement to resume oil exports from the Kurdistan Region," he noted. (end) sj.rk KUNA 171252 Nov 12NNNN

Last edited by windreader1 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

windreader1

I said in another post that the UNAMI report would be an indicator of what the Security Council would do in December in regard to lifting Chapter VII. From the SG's comments it would appear that Chapter VII will not be lifted. Iraq has been repeatedly told that the issues with Kuwait have to be resolved and they (to no one's surprise) just do not get it done.

gente

gente

And the foot-dragging continues...I think as long as the upper-echelon in Iraq keeps getting paid, has water, power and AC, they could really care less about CH7...thx Wind

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum