I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zimbabwe government announces plan to buy up worthless currency

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Roxy

Roxy

Zimbabwe government announces plan to buy up worthless currency

17/07/2009 12:00:46 PM GMT
Zimbabwe government announces plan to buy up worthless currency Adlog
Harare, July 17 , SPA -- Zimbabwe's government will "buy back" the moribund
Zimbabwe dollar from the population to bury the virtually worthless
money, Finance Minister Tendai Biti has announced, according to dpa.
Presenting the half-year national budget to parliament in Harare
on Thursday, Biti also said civil servants, who have been receiving
allowances of 100 dollars a month since February, would receive a pay
rise from July.
The details of the pay increases would be announced by the public
service commission, he said. Details of the Zimbabwe dollar "buyback"
would also be announced in due course, he said.
Shortly after its formation in February, the new coalition
government headed by President Robert Mugabe and Prime Minister
Morgan Tsvangirai suspended the use of the Zimbabwe dollar.
At the time, it took about 50 trillion Zimbabwe dollars to make
one US dollar and the inflation rate was being estimated in 15-digit
figures.
The US dollar and the South African rand were declared legal
tender in its place.
Biti said the move to buy back notes still in circulation aimed to
"put a tomb stone on the grave of the corpse (the Zimbabwe dollar)"
and ensure that all transactions were conducted in hard currency.
Biti also announced that spending by the cash-strapped coalition
government would be around 20 per cent higher than forecast in 2009,
with the extra funds coming from foreign grants.
Instead of 1 billion dollars, the government now expects to spend
1.22 billion dollars, 970 million dollars of which it expects to
raise in taxes, Biti said.
The government has forecast the economy to grow by 3.7 per cent this
year.
--SPA

Source: Saudi Press Agency

http://www.sauditelegraph.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=252196

2Zimbabwe government announces plan to buy up worthless currency Empty Zim dollar is not coming back Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:24 am

Roxy

Roxy

Zim dollar is not coming back – Biti

Written by Kingsley Kaswende in Harare, Zimbabwe
FINANCE minister Tendai Biti has said the Zimbabwean government will spend US $6 million to buy back the defunct Zimbabwe dollar from the public, warning that any attempts to resuscitate the local currency will force him to quit.
He told the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Zimbabwe Winter School in the resort town of Nyanga over the weekend that he would quit the inclusive government if he is forced to resuscitate the Zimbabwean dollar, because he is determined to ensure that his policies are not reversed.

"The most important thing is that the Zimbabwe dollar is not coming back. If I have to bring the Zimbabwe dollar back into circulation, I will go back to my law firm at 200 Herbert Chitepo Avenue," said Biti, who is partner at a Harare law firm, Honey and Blanckenberg.

The Zimbabwe dollar was abandoned in February this year when it could not cope up with the severe hyperinflationary situation.

The 20-plus digit hyperinflationary environment, which became more severe in 2008, left the Zimbabwean dollar valueless, leading to the adoption of multiple currencies, dominant of which is the US dollar and the South African rand.

Presenting the mid-term budget review last Thursday, Biti said he had reserved US $6 million to mop up the Zimbabwe dollar, saying the demonetisation of the local currency would allow the government to start accounting using the US dollar.

"I propose the demonetisation of all the remaining Zimbabwe dollar balances held by the financial sector as well as notes and coins in circulation," he said. "Formal demonetisation should allow for settlement of all remaining Zimbabwe dollar transactions and obligations prior to the introduction of the multiple currency system as well as the revaluation of all other Zimbabwe dollar balances for accounting purposes. At the present moment, estimates indicate that about US $6 million will be required to purchase the entire stock of Zimbabwe dollar balances with banks as well as cash outside the banking system."

However, he did not say at which exchange rate at which the defunct currency will be bought.

"The conclusion of this process will officially bring to an end claims on the use of the Zimbabwe dollar as a unit of account, medium of exchange and store of value. Government will, therefore, maintain the use of multiple currencies, whilst addressing the attendant challenges such as improving the liquidity of the domestic financial system, challenges of smaller denominations and change in business transactions, in as well as standardising currency use in accounting," Biti said.

He said the review of use of multiple currencies will be undertaken once there was clear evidence of a strong economy, characterised by a sound track record of policy consistency and implementation, a sustainable external position, and a strong financial sector, necessary to support and sustain the desired currency regime.

"Such a review will also consider a number of currency regime options, guided by the SADC objective of achieving a unitary currency by 2018," said Biti.

http://www.postzambia.com/content/view/11392/50/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum