I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

CNPC presence in Iraq angers locals

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CNPC presence in Iraq angers locals Empty CNPC presence in Iraq angers locals Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:20 am

Roxy

Roxy

CNPC presence in Iraq angers locals

Released : Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:51 PM

Despite a warm relationship between the China National Petroleum Corp. and the Iraqi government, local residents are not fond of the development, officials say.

CNPC and the Iraqi government struck a deal to develop the Ahdab field in the eastern province of Wasit as Baghdad looks to recover from years of neglect in its energy sector. But the presence of a foreign company with foreign workers has angered many of the locals, the Korean Times reports.

Provincial leaders and area residents complain they are getting nothing out of the development, resorting to sabotage and other tactics against CNPC.

"We get nothing directly from the Chinese company, and we are suffering," Wasit provincial council leader Mahmoud Abdul Ridha said. "There is an unemployment crisis. We need roads, schools, water treatment plants. We need everything."

CNPC says it does not need Iraqi workers because Ahdab development is still in the early stages. Farmers, meanwhile, say CNPC infrastructure is destroying their crops, forcing them to resort to vandalism as retribution.

The frustrations come as Iraq prepares to host international oil companies at a Turkish energy conference in October to highlight fields offered in its second round of auctions.

http://calibre.mworld.com/m/m.w?lp=GetStory&id=381771081

2CNPC presence in Iraq angers locals Empty Re: CNPC presence in Iraq angers locals Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:01 am

Farmers, meanwhile, say CNPC infrastructure is destroying their crops, forcing them to resort to vandalism as retribution.

Good grief...no wonder nothing gets done...instead of filing a complaint with the GOI...iraqi's go the
vandalism route...UNREAL!!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum