I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ban encourages Iraq to meet its obligations towards Kuwait in order to get out from under Chapter 7

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Kracker find:

Ban encourages Iraq to meet its obligations towards Kuwait in order to get out from under Chapter 7

Politics 11/13/2009 7:49:00 PM

UNITED NATIONS, Nov 13 (KUNA) - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday encouraged Iraq to meet its obligations towards Kuwait, especially Security Council resolution 833 regarding their border, in order to achieve regional and international standing, and get out from under Chapter VII of the UN Charter.

In a report to the Security Council, Ban said "my report to the Security Council pursuant to resolution 1859 (to get Iraq from under Chapter VII) has been supportive of the efforts by the Government of Iraq to normalize the country's international standing in a number of ways, from assisting in capacity-building and debt reduction under the framework of the International Compact with Iraq to the UN assistance in promoting regional dialogue.

"However, I would encourage Iraq to meet its obligations under paragraph 14 of resolution 1284 (about the return of missing Kuwaitis and property) and to reaffirm its land and maritime border with Kuwait in accordance with Security Council resolutions 833 and 773. These steps could go a long way towards building confidence and further improving mutual relations with Kuwait and the wider region. They could also help to create positive momentum towards Iraq's normalization."

He said that in view of its mandate to promote regional cooperation, the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), together with the wider UN system, is committed to supporting these efforts.

Ban's report is the first submitted to the council pursuant to resolution 1883, which decided last August to extend UNAMI mandate for 12 months, until August 2010, and requested him to report on a quarterly basis to the council on the fulfillment of the responsibilities of that Mission.

The normalization of Iraq's relations with its neighbours, Ban added, is "important for regional stability," and cooperation on a range of issues of mutual concern, including trade, energy, border security and refugees, will be "vital" to this end.

"Regional cooperation is a two-way process. Both Iraq and its neighbours will need to engage each other and demonstrate their willingness to listen to each other's concerns. I also call upon all Members States, and in particular Iraq's neighbours, to respect Iraq's sovereignty and to adhere to the principle of non-interference, a fundamental tenet of the UN Charter," he stressed.

Ban said that over the past several years, "notable progress" has been achieved in Iraq, in large part due to the commitment and resolve of the Iraqi Government and people. The country is now entering a "crucial period" and the "challenge now is to consolidate the hard-earned gains that have been made," he added. He noted that since the signing of the US- Iraq Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), the Iraqi security forces have assumed greater responsibilities and achieved progress in restricting the activities of insurgents and in shielding the Iraqi people and institutions from potential attacks.

Nevertheless, he added, the tragic loss of innocent Iraqi lives on August 19 and October 25 is a reminder of the threat from those who seek to undermine the country's continuing democratization.

He expressed satisfaction that, in the face of these and other deplorable attacks, the Iraqi people "have not been deterred." Ban also welcomed the agreement reached on November 8 in the Iraqi Parliament on amendments to the Electoral Law. With the passage of the Electoral Law, he urged, "I now appeal to all political blocs and their leaders to demonstrate true statesmanship during the election campaign and participate in a spirit of national unity. I also encourage all Iraqis to exercise their right to vote in these upcoming elections which will shape their country's future."

The peaceful conduct of provincial elections and Kurdistan Regional Government elections earlier in 2009, he noted, constitutes a "remarkable achievement." "I firmly believe that the forthcoming national election, planned for January, 2010, represents a historic opportunity for Iraq and a crucial step forward for national reconciliation. It will also contribute to Iraq's political progress and could go a long way towards strengthening Iraq's sovereignty and independence," he affirmed.

In order to bring political stability and lasting peace to the country, he stressed, "it is essential" that the Federal Government in Baghdad and the leadership of the Iraqi Kurdistan region strive to resolve their differences through meaningful dialogue." Continuing disagreements, in particular in respect of disputed internal boundaries and the sharing of the natural resources, Ban warned, "will hinder political progress at the national level. "Not only has this become a source of tension between Iraqi and Kurdish security forces but it has also added to the deep mistrust that exists among local communities in northern Iraq. "It is the responsibility of all elected representatives, especially national leaders, to work towards reducing tensions and reach political compromises," the UN chief added. (end) sj.gb.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum