I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secretary-General of the United Nations calls for Iraq's neighbors to respect the sovereignty

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Secretary-General of the United Nations calls for Iraq's neighbors to respect the sovereignty

(Voice of Iraq) - 15/11/2009

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a report to the Security Council that he supports the efforts of the Iraqi government to normalize Iraq's status in the international arena also supports ways to help build its capacity and reduce the burden of debt in the framework of the International Covenant and the support provided by the United Nations to promote regional dialogue.

"With that I would like to encourage Iraq to fulfill its obligations under paragraph 14 of resolution 1284 (on the return of Kuwaiti missing persons and property).

And to reaffirm the land and sea borders with Kuwait in accordance with Security Council resolutions 833 and 773 and these steps may be able to go a long way towards building confidence and to further improve bilateral relations with Kuwait and the region on a large scale can also help create positive momentum toward Iraq and the normalization ".

He stressed that "the UN Assistance Mission of the United Nations in Iraq (UNAMI) in the light of its mandate to promote regional cooperation is committed to supporting these efforts. The report that the first report submitted to the Council pursuant to resolution 1883, which decided last August to extend the mandate of MINURSO for a period of 12 months to August 2010 and asked him at the time to provide a quarterly report to the Security Council about the performance of UNAMI in fulfilling its responsibilities. He said that the normalization of Iraq's relations with its neighbors "is important for regional stability" and to cooperate on a range of issues of mutual interest including trade, energy, border security and refugees and it would be "vital" to achieve this end.

Considered, general secretary of the United Nations in his report that "regional cooperation is a two-way process that both Iraq and its neighbors need to engage each other and show willingness to listen to each other's concerns" and called on all Member States, particularly Iraq's neighbors to respect Iraq's sovereignty and a commitment to the principle of non intervention, which is a fundamental principle of the principles of the Charter of the United Nations.

Ban said that over the past several years there was "significant progress" had been made in Iraq, due in large part to the commitment of the Government and the Iraqi people and their determination, especially because "the country is now entering a crucial period where the challenge is now to consolidate the gains achieved with difficulty."

He noted that since the signing of a bilateral security pact between Iraq and the United States carried out the Iraqi security forces more responsibility and have made progress in curbing the activities of insurgents and to protect the Iraqi people and institutions from possible attacks.

He said, however, the tragic loss of lives of innocent Iraqis on August 19 and October 25 is a reminder of the threat posed by those who seek to undermine the viability of democracy in the country and expressed satisfaction with the face of these deplorable attacks and others believe that the Iraqi people "has not been affected by it".

And Ban Ki-moon welcomed the agreement reached on November 8 in the Parliament and the amendments to the election law in Iraq.

With the passage of the election law said that "I now appeal to all political groups and leaders to demonstrate the truth of its support to institutions during the electoral campaign and to participate in a spirit of national unity and I would also like to encourage all Iraqis to exercise their right to vote in the upcoming elections that will shape the future of their country ".

He said the peaceful conduct of provincial elections, the Kurdistan Regional Government in the previous elections in 2009, is a "fantastic achievement", saying: "I firmly believe that the next national elections due in January 2010 represented a historic opportunity for Iraq and a crucial step forward for national reconciliation and will also contribute to the achievement of political progress in Iraq and can go a long way towards strengthening the sovereignty and independence of Iraq. "

He stressed that in order to achieve political stability and lasting peace in the country was "necessary" to seek federal government in Baghdad and the Iraqi leadership with the Kurdistan province to resolve their differences through meaningful dialogue. "

they gotta get it first......

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum