I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Euro business leaders urge yuan revaluation

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Euro business leaders urge yuan revaluation

November 26, 2009

European employers' chiefs on Thursday urged eurozone leaders, heading to China on Sunday to discuss exchange rates, to call for a revaluation of the yuan by Beijing.

In a letter to European Central Bank governor Jean-Claude Trichet made public on Thursday, Juergen Thumann, president of BusinessEurope, said "Chinese authorities need to reconsider the appreciation of the renminbi."

He said Beijing has to "introduce more flexibility" into its currency system while simultaneously demanding that "US authorities make real their pledge of a strong dollar policy."

Trichet will be joined by outgoing European Union Economic and Monetary Affairs Commissioner Joaquin Almunia and the formal head of the group of 16 countries that use the euro, Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker, at talks with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao.

These precede the first full summit between the EU and China in two years, after last year's was cancelled amid Beijing protests at French President Nicolas Sarkozy hosting Tibet's spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.

Almunia said last week the EU would like to see Beijing de-link the yuan from its de facto peg to the US dollar and eventually revalue the Chinese currency.

Europe fears that the rise of the euro against the yuan will reduce EU exports to China, as they become more expensive, and could eventually slow the continent's economic recovery from the financial crisis.

Although China has insisted the value of the yuan fluctuates against a basket of currencies, the currency it has for all intents and purposes been pegged to the weakening greenback since 2008.

Last week, International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn urged Beijing to let the yuan rise "sooner rather than later," saying it would benefit both China and the global economy. - AFP

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum