I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iraq, Shell ink Majnoon oilfield deal

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Iraq, Shell ink Majnoon oilfield deal Empty Iraq, Shell ink Majnoon oilfield deal Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:37 pm

littlekracker

Published December 21, 2009

Iraq, Shell ink Majnoon oilfield deal

(BAGHDAD) A group led by Royal Dutch Shell, Europe's largest oil company, has signed a deal to develop Iraq's Majnoon supergiant oilfield, pledging to spend tens of billions of dollars on the project over the next two decades. Shell, along with Malaysia's state-run Petronas, won the rights to Majnoon, a major prize near Iraq's southern oil hub of Basra, in an energy auction earlier this month.

Mounir Bouaziz, a vice-president of Shell Gas and Power, and Abdul-Mahdy al-Ameedi, deputy director of the Iraqi Oil Ministry's licensing office, signed the initial agreement in downtown Baghdad yesterday. It must now be sent to the cabinet for approval.

Mr Bouaziz said the investment over the life of the 20-year deal would be 'tens of billions' of dollars. 'When the cabinet gives agreement to the contract, and the final contract is officially signed, we will start immediately. We know the area, and we have been coming to Basra for more than a year and a half,' he told reporters after the signing.

Shell is waiting for final approval of a natural gas deal also located in southern Iraq, which it will take on in partnership with Mitsubishi. Then there is Exxon Mobil and Shell's initial deal for West Qurna Phase One, a field left over from an initial bidding round that concluded in June. That field has reserves of an estimated 8.7 billion barrels.

Majnoon is even bigger. With a whopping 12.6 billion barrels, Majnoon is one of the world's largest untapped fields.

Shell has a 60 per cent stake in the consortium, while Petronas holds 40 per cent. -- Reuters

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum