I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Central bank stops loans to public sector

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Central bank stops loans to public sector
Web posted at: 1/3/2010 2:11:59
Source ::: The Peninsula / By MOHAMED SAEED

DOHA: Qatar Central Bank (QCB), the country’s banking regulator, and its counterparts in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Kuwait have been asked to stop lending to the public sector with effect from January 1, 2010.

The move is part of the plans of the four Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states to set up a common monetary union sooner rather than later, with a view to floating a single currency.

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Oman have opted out of the common monetary union plan, but observers say they expect the two countries to join the union once the single currency is floated and becomes a success story like the euro.

The QCB and central banks from the three other GCC countries will, thus, be selling off their public sector loan portfolios.

According to details available, the draft GCC common monetary union agreement prohibits the central banks of member-states from lending to public companies. The move aims at freeing a future regional central bank from its role of subsidising the public sector of member-states in line with the European model.

The European model is that of an independent central bank which does not lend to state-owned or semi-government entities. Although a central bank usually does not lend to state-owned entities, it is the banker to the government of the country concerned and one of its major roles is to issue bonds on behalf of the government. The QCB, for instance, has issued several bonds on behalf of the government and some of them have matured. It is, however, not known if bonds are considered as part of the public sector loan portfolio of the QCB.

The Qatar Development Bank (QDB) last year disbursed housing loans worth a staggering QR3.26bn to more than 5,000 Qatari government employees. The finance was understandably provided by the QCB.

Now, the four GCC states, including Qatar, have begun in earnest to resolve some of the critical issues related to the launch of a common regional currency that have been lying unattended for a long time.

A major issue that faces the launch of the proposed currency is whether it would be pegged to the dollar like the Qatari riyal or to a basket of international currencies which is currently the case with the Kuwaiti dinar.

Expert opinion is largely in favor of pegging the proposed common Gulf currency to a basket of global currencies such as the dollar, euro, the Japanese yen and pound sterling.

These are currencies of the countries with which the four GCC states have large and active trade links. Managing exchange rates against a basket of currencies rather than a single currency would allow adequate flexibility to tailor monetary policies ‘of the union of four’ that can address domestic conditions and withstand external shocks, say experts. The Peninsula

retired2934

retired2934

I've asked this before .....Is iraq waiting to become a member of GCC and change thier currency to the common currency proposed by GCC??????
If that is the case what happens to the DE nar????

windreader1

retired2934 wrote:I've asked this before .....Is iraq waiting to become a member of GCC and change thier currency to the common currency proposed by GCC??????
If that is the case what happens to the DE nar????

There is an agreement that all the GCC countries have to sign and it has a long list of requirements. Right now Iraq could not comply with most of those requirements. I really don't see how they can join. They have to get their act together first. What are the odds of that happening. Here is another thought, why would the GCC want them when their currency is basically worthless. The IMF put out a rather lengthy analysis on the GCC currency rate. The exchange of each of the GCC's curency to the new currency was addressed. Can you imagine what the exchange rate would be at the existing rate for the dinar. I would think that Iraq would have to revalue before joining if that were to happen.

I do find it interesting that the loans are stopping. Why are they doing this now if the currency is at least five years out as some of the articles have stated. Smoke screen??????

The new GCC currency will start off as currency for trade among the GCC group....but each country will continue to have what I call "in house currency" that they are using now...maybe 5 years down the road the "in house currency" will be phased out and the new GCC currency will be used....so when I see 5 years down the road articles...I think that is when they will being the phasing out of the in house currencys.......right now iraq can not join until I feel chap 7 is completely gone and their rating with the IMF turns to Art. 8....JMO

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum