I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

China Yuan and US Dollar News

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1China Yuan and US Dollar News Empty China Yuan and US Dollar News Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:00 pm

littlekracker

January 28, 2010
China Yuan and US Dollar News

Alan Ruskin, who heads foreign exchange strategy at RBS Securities, notes there is more evidence of a strengthening U.S. dollar than there is to indicating a weakening in the currency. "The dollar's rallied quite sharply. There's a sense that as the U.S. economy is recovering it's hard to conceive of a dollar collapse," he said.

Ruskin said he sees China's recent moves to scale back bank lending as a sign the country could move toward using exchange policies as another tool to tighten monetary policy and fight inflation.

International pressure for the yuan to rise is growing; there are strong expectations for yuan appreciation. Zhong said expectations for a stronger yuan were one of the factors that could weigh on China's exports in 2010, in addition to uncertainties about global economic recovery and trade disputes.

These semi-official comments from a Chinese Minister could indicate that China will move earlier than this summer to begin re-appreciating the yuan versus the US dollar. It could also signal an increased likelihood of something in the range of 10% one off apprecition.

The 23% surge in China's foreign reserves last year to $2.4 trillion is a much clearer signal that its currency is undervalued.

China rightly worries that a new program of gradual appreciation would only encourage more hot money inflows.

So the alternative is to do it all in one bang. To be sure, a one-off sharp revaluation would strike a major blow at China's export base and induce a significant slowdown in the economy. But since China's competitors would enjoy an exchange rate windfall, contagion would be limited.

Either way, doing nothing and so indefinitely postponing a more violent, involuntary bursting of the bubble is the worst option.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum