I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lloyds chief blames 'political inertia' for Gulf dollar pegs

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Lloyds chief blames 'political inertia' for Gulf dollar pegs
by Joanne Bladd

Sunday, 14 February 2010

WARNING: A senior exec with Lloyd's private banking arm has said that the Gulf states' dollar pegs are unnecessary.

The energy-rich Gulf states have failed to free their currencies from the troubled US dollar because of political inertia, a senior executive in Lloyd’s Banking Group’s private banking arm has said.

Dr George Lo, chief investment officer at Lloyd’s IPB, said the six GCC states are reluctant to drop the greenback for fear of offending the US, despite the peg no longer making financial sense.

“In the past, the dollar was a strong currency. For a lot of emerging markets, you aspire to that kind of strength. That’s why you use it as the anchor. Today, it’s not serving the purpose. [The dollar] is sinking,” he told Arabian Business.

“If you look at the chart versus the Swiss franc, it’s very obvious. In the past, there were lots of political considerations; friendship, it’s a signal you’re being impolite to the US government. But in today’s world it’s a business. We should be thinking about this like a business.

“[To de-peg] would be a signal to the world that the dollar is sinking further, you are losing your close allies’ confidence. But that is a financial fact,” he added.

Kuwait broke rank by unshackling its dinar from the dollar in 2007, switching the exchange rate mechanism to a basket of currencies in a bid to tackle soaring inflation.

Should another Gulf state follow suit, said Lo, the effect would be “like a domino”.

Pegged Gulf states are currently forced to trail the monetary policy of the US Federal Reserve, despite differences in inflation rates, projected growth and other factors.

“If one state starts doing it, others will follow. It’s like a domino effect. I would expect the region to react,” he said.

Last month saw a Gulf monetary union agreement take effect, backed by Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain. A monetary council was established in December to choose a currency regime and map out a timeline for its implementation.

Oman and the UAE, the second-largest Arab economy, have pulled out of the project.

This comment posted after this above article...which I totally agree:

Petrodollar economics
Posted by The Consultant, Dubai,
United Arab Emirates on Sunday 14 February 2010 at 16:01 UAE time

There's no doubt that having a doller-pegged
currency can create problems, but there are good reasons why Gulf states stick with it, rather that simply wanting to avoid offending the US:

- Gulf governments main source of income is from USD-priced oil sales. If you de-peg against a sinking dollar you effectively give all your dirham/riyal/dinar-paid employees and suppliers a pay rise that you can't control.

- Many local banks have traditionally had substantial LC deposits matched with USD lending. De-peg and you effectively devalue your assets overnight and end up with a massive exchange loss.

- Likewise, allowing your local currency to move upwards results in the FC-denominated investments held by your sovereign wealth fund being devalued overnight.

I suspect the above reasons carry more weight than the desire not to offend the US.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum