I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

IMF economist says higher yuan will help

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1IMF economist says higher yuan will help Empty IMF economist says higher yuan will help Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:56 am

littlekracker

Business News

IMF economist says higher yuan will help
Published: Feb. 16, 2010 at 6:46 AM

WASHINGTON, Feb. 16 (UPI) -- A higher Chinese yuan will help the U.S. economy but more is needed to sustain the U.S. growth, an international economist told Xinhua.

Olivier Blanchard, chief economist of the International Monetary Fund, told the official Chinese news agency in an interview that a 20 percent appreciation of the yuan and a similar appreciation of the exchange rates of currencies of other emerging Asian economies could help boost the U.S. gross domestic product by about 1 percent.

"This would be good news for U.S. growth. But this is clearly not enough, by itself to sustain growth in the United States," Blanchard said.

The yuan issue has resurfaced as the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama battles massive deficits and unemployment. An undervalued yuan is seen by the administration as giving China an unfair trade advantage by making its exports cheaper and imports from countries such as the United States more expensive.

Blanchard told Xinhua a discussion on China's macroeconomic policy should begin its saving rate and not its exchange rate.

"There is wide agreement that the current Chinese saving rate is too high, that it reflects insufficient social insurance for households, governance problems in firms, and low financial access," he told Xinhua.

He said China should spend more in areas such as healthcare and the retirement system and take steps to boost domestic demand to avoid over-heating of the economy.

Blanchard said as China seeks to reduce its saving rate, the United States should try to reduce its budget deficits, adding an increase in U.S. exports would make it easier for the U.S. government to reduce its stimulus measures.
Next Story: Toyota dealers making best of a sour deal
or see all Business News stories

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum