I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

** Iraq **** Daily press briefing for June 2009

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

azdinar

** Iraq 2 June 2009

http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2009/db090602.doc.htm

On Iraq, the UN refugee agency has renewed its appeal to donor countries for Iraqi refugees and internally displaced persons. UNHCR says that more than 50 per cent of its nearly $300 million appeal for Iraq remains unfunded. It says it might not be able to cope with the demands on the ground if new money isn’t received soon. There are still well over 1.5 million Iraqis outside Iraq while another 2 million are internally displaced.

With security conditions still unstable, UNHCR has also warned that uprooted Iraqis should not be forced back to their homes. That, the agency says, could negatively affect the country’s already fragile ability to take them back in.

At the same time, UNHCR calls on the Iraqi Government to make further progress in its policy on displacement and return. Iraqi authorities should move decisively on land allocation, property restitution and compensation. They should also work to set up a major housing and rehabilitation programme fit enough to deal with the country’s considerable housing problem.

8 June 2009

http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2009/db090608.doc.htm

**Iraq

The Secretary-General, in his latest report to the Security Council on Iraq, says that there have been “encouraging signs of progress” in that country in recent months, including successful and largely peaceful provincial elections earlier this year, and an agreement on a new Speaker of Parliament.

He points to national reconciliation as the main priority in the coming months, saying that the resolution of key issues, including federalism, the sharing of natural resources and disputed internal boundaries, could serve as a means to achieving lasting peace.

At the same time, he notes with concern rising tensions in several areas, particularly in Ninawa, Kirkuk and Diyala. The Secretary-General urges national and local leaders to endeavour to ease tensions and work towards resolving the underlying causes. He added that the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq’s (UNAMI) report on the country’s disputed internal boundaries could serve as a useful starting point for constructive dialogue. And the full report is out on the racks.

12 June 2009

http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2009/db090612.doc.htm

**The Week Ahead at the United Nations

We have also on Wednesday the fact that the Secretary-General will be awarded the Global Humanitarian Award by the Foreign Policy Association. On Thursday, the Security Council will hold a debate on the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI).

thnx AZ.....

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum