I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chapter VII comments by country

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chapter VII comments by country Empty Chapter VII comments by country Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:54 pm

windreader1

These are the excerpts from the individual speeches by the major countries at the UN meeting on June 18th.

The situation concerning Iraq
Report of the Secretary-General pursuant to
paragraph 6 of resolution 1830 (2008)
(S/2009/284)

http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N09/373/04/PDF/N0937304.pdf?OpenElement

MR.DE MISTURA (UN Special Representative)

Additional facilitation is needed, however, to further increase understanding and trust between Iraq and its neighbours. I particularly wish to single out Iraq’s relations with Kuwait. I firmly believe we are at a critical juncture, in this moment, to be able to contribute to a significant improvement of the climate of cooperation, taking into account the concerns of both countries.

With respect to outstanding Chapter VII mandates, the Iraqi Government feels rightly that the
time to turn the page is long overdue. Kuwait, for its part, also has rightful claims regarding its sovereignty and territorial integrity. The Iraqi Government has shown positive signs of increasing cooperation by inviting, for instance, just in the past few days, a Kuwaiti delegation to Iraq to pursue the issue of missing Kuwaitis and by speeding up the deployment of an Iraqi ambassador to Kuwait. We, for our part, as UNAMI and as the Security Council, should now exert every effort in building on the current momentum. There are various creative options being floated that I hope will be discussed and elaborated upon by the Security Council in the near future in this regard.

IRAQ

The Iraqi Government has begun consultations with the Secretary-General to review Security Council resolutions on Iraq pursuant to Security Council resolution 1859 (2008). Based on our review of those resolutions, we have determined that Iraq has fulfilled all its obligations under those resolutions, with regard to both the impact of the occupation of Kuwait and issues related to arms.

I would like to point out a number of obligations that Iraq has fulfilled with regard to Security Council resolutions on the situation between Iraq and Kuwait. Iraq has recognized the State of Kuwait and its borders in accordance with the relevant Security Council resolutions and both States continue to cooperate in the maintenance of border markers. Iraq has returned the remains of 236 missing Kuwaitis found in Iraq. Since 2003, Iraq has handed over to Kuwait numerous items belonging to that country and most recently the Kuwaiti authorities have received 4,539 audio and video tapes belonging to the Kuwaiti Ministry of Information. Next week, the Iraqi Government will hand over to the Kuwaiti authorities 24 boxes containing old currency and stamps.

As of April 2009, Iraq has paid $27.1 billion of the total Compensation due for the invasion of Kuwait. However, $25.5 billon remains due and that is a heavy burden on Iraq, which needs the money for services, reconstruction and development.

As for the area of disarmament, Security As for the area of disarmament, Security Council
resolution 1762 (2007), which ended the mandate of United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC) and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), stated that Iraq had fulfilled all its commitments with regard to disarmament. Moreover, the letter of the United States and the United Kingdom annexed to that resolution and addressed to the President of the Security Council, dated 22 and 27 June 2007, indicated the complete destruction of Iraq’s special programmes to produce weapons of mass destruction.

We hope that the Secretary-General and the Security Council will assist Iraq in returning to the
international status it held before the invasion of Kuwait in 1990; an invasion which was one of the most atrocious crimes committed by Saddam Hussein and for which the Iraqi people continue to pay a heavy price.

FRANCE

I will conclude by emphasizing how important it is that the current positive cycle be able to allow Iraq to fully recover its sovereignty. Here we would note resolution 1859 (2008), in which we asked the Secretary-General to prepare a report in consultation with Iraq on the action necessary to allow them international status equal to what they had before resolution 661 (1990).
We await this report and are ready to act on that basis and in the framework of Iraq’s international obligations, in particular resolutions 773 (1992) and 833 (1993) on the question of the borders with Kuwait, together with all States concerned. And, as was indicated by President Sarkozy in Baghdad last February, Iraq can count on the friendship of France to work with it on Iraq’s full reintegration into the international community.

UNITED KINGDOM

No direct reference to Chapter VII

UNITED STATES

RUSSIA

CHINA
China supports Iraq’s resumption of its international status. We look forward to the Secretary-
General submitting a report pursuant to resolution 1859 (2008).

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum