I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Philippines' Arroyo backs Asian IMF:

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Philippines' Arroyo backs Asian IMF: Empty Philippines' Arroyo backs Asian IMF: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 am

windreader1

Philippines' Arroyo backs Asian IMF:

Sun Jun 21, 1:53 am ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090621/bs_afp/financeeconomyimfjapanphilippinesarroyo_20090621055415

TOKYO (AFP) – Philippine President Gloria Arroyo supports wider cooperation in stabilising Asia's financial market, including creating a regional version of the International Monetary Fund, a report has said.

In an interview with Japanese media on Saturday, she praised as a great success the expansion of the Chiang Mai Initiative (CMI), a currency swap framework to guard against financial crises, the Nikkei business daily said.

The scheme, involving the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Japan, China and South Korea, was launched in 2000 following the 1997 Asian financial crisis.

The ASEAN-plus-three agreed in May to expand the CMI's size to 120 billion dollars from the original 80 billion dollars proposed in 2008. Japan and China will each contribute 38.4 billion dollars and South Korea 19.2 billion dollars.

"The Asian bond market initiative is something we should now push," Arroyo was quoted by the Nikkei as saying on a visit to meet Prime Minister Taro Aso and business leaders.
The Philippine president was referring to efforts by regional governments and private companies to revitalise the market by issuing bonds denominated in local currencies.

Arroyo said the idea of establishing an Asian version of the IMF should be the next subject to be studied by the region to strengthen its financial stability, according to the Nikkei.
She said she "agrees" with the idea, it added.

"I am even in favour of a pan-Asian economic community that would cover not only the East Asian Summit, but other parts of Asia like the Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia and Oceania," Arroyo said.

The East Asian Summit involves 16 countries -- 10 ASEAN states, Japan, China, South Korea, India, Australia and New Zealand.

2Philippines' Arroyo backs Asian IMF: Empty Re: Philippines' Arroyo backs Asian IMF: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:25 pm

"I am even in favour of a pan-Asian economic community that would
cover not only the East Asian Summit, but other parts of Asia like the
Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia and Oceania," Arroyo said.

Interesting...Imf has middle east under the Asia region, which I always thought was weird.

Thanks

3Philippines' Arroyo backs Asian IMF: Empty Re: Philippines' Arroyo backs Asian IMF: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 pm

bjdksl

bjdksl

Thanks wind, for the great post. Pinoy will be happy....lol.
Aloooha!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum