I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

China Should Increase Currency Flexibility, Zhou Qiren Says

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

littlekracker

Bloomberg
China Should Increase Currency Flexibility, Zhou Qiren Says
April 25, 2010, 4:21 AM EDT

April 25 (Bloomberg)mg -- China should be more flexible about exchange rates to reduce currency interventions and let the market play a bigger role, central bank adviser Zhou Qiren said.

The “root cause” of the nation’s swings between tight and loose monetary policy over the past several years, yet to be resolved, is an exchange-rate mechanism that involves intervention by the People’s Bank of China, Zhou said at an economic forum in Beijing today.

Mandated to maintain currency stability, the central bank has sold yuan into the financial market to buy foreign currencies, adding liquidity, Zhou said. The bank then was forced to tighten monetary policies to prevent that liquidity from fueling inflation, he said.

Premier Wen Jiabao’s government has held the yuan at about 6.83 per dollar since July 2008 to shield the country’s exporters from the global recession after allowing a 21 percent advance the previous three years.

There is “conflict” between the bank’s intervention and its job to manage liquidity and control inflation, said Zhou, also an economics professor at Peking University.

China this year must deal with the aftermath of allowing record lending in 2009 to boost growth, Zhou said.

“Unless there are very forceful measures, that large amount of money will flow through the market,” Zhou said, citing the recent government crackdown on property. “Even if you put lid on in one place, it will emerge somewhere else.”

Zhou, who earned a Ph.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles, was appointed last month as one of three academic advisers to the central bank.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum