I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

UN warns funds drying up of aid to Iraq and obstruction of humanitarian programs

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

UN warns funds drying up of aid to Iraq and obstruction of humanitarian programs
29/07/2010م - 9:26 م | مرات القراءة: 105 07/29/2010 - 9:26 pm | read times: 105

She wondered, "IRIN - Irene" of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs whether the "lack of political stability in Iraq would lead to depletion of aid money?".

The network said the conclusion of the semi-annual audit report of the United Nations, that "the funding from international donors in 2010 Which was not enough, hampered the implementation of the hazardous aid projects provided by NGOs and the United Nations to the Iraqis the most vulnerable and needy. "

He said the UN report that as a result of this situation, "many of the projects has not started yet."

The 8 and agencies of the United Nations, 7 NGOs working in Iraq in addition to the International Organization for Migration announced at the beginning of 2010, on "humanitarian action plan in Iraq."

The report elaborated that "those bodies had hoped to implement its plan, especially when there seemed to be an agreement of opinion on Iraq to pass a severe humanitarian emergency phase, and progress toward normal relations and improve the government's ability to address long-term security challenges."

She added that "the focus had been on the weaknesses of the Permanent throughout Iraq, targeting aid to areas of priority of the humanitarian needs and where most of the 26 area."

She explained that "have been identified total funding requirement of the Plan of humanitarian action in Iraq, the amount of 187.7 million dollars," .. afterthought that "the United Nations was not able to secure only 31% of this amount, equivalent to 58 million Dolarvdila for 35.8 million dollars of this amount is pledges stage of the year 2009 while the remaining 22.3 million are new contributions from donors. "The report says," Irene, "the inability to raise funds to" delays in forming a new Iraqi coalition government after months of inconclusive general election, resulting in delayed some important decisions, which are still pending, awaiting the appointment of new ministers and officials, which affects the implementation of many programs and projects of humanitarian action plan. "

The report quoted political analyst working in Baghdad, Bob Gallo, saying that "the political conflict since the elections of 7 March to create a state of confusion in the international community, led to a lack of confidence, especially by the international donor community, mainly the European Union and the United States."

Hadi said, "I do not think that international financial assistance will be available only if there is political stability in Iraq, because the stability gives legitimacy to a work, also protects the funds granted by the possibility of inappropriate spending."

For his part, likely spokesman for the "Human Relief Foundation", based in Baghdad, Ahmed Hassan, Rashid "donors declined to spend money to cumbersome bureaucratic procedures in Iraq and the lack of transparency on how money is spent, as well as the impact of the global financial crisis."

The report pointed to what the WFP representative in Iraq, Edward Kallon that "due to lack of financing humanitarian action plan in Iraq was suspended food distribution to 800 000 pregnant and lactating women and children who suffer from malnutrition, were also suspended food distribution to 960 000 children Students from schools. "

Report also warned, "IRIN," that "half a million people affected by drought in the northern provinces are at risk, as well as possible suspension of a plan to provide emergency shelters for about 22500 families displaced vulnerable in all parts of Iraq."

Faced with this tragic situation, concluded, "IRIN its" appeal launched by the Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq, where Christine Naknab called "donors not to abandon its obligations to the Iraqi people and help pave the way for future development in Iraq.

w8tin

hmmmm...sounds like if they don't get their act together, i.e. finalize who will actually be the pm, etc. form the government, then the aid will be stopped..or am i off base here?

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

w8tin wrote:hmmmm...sounds like if they don't get their act together, i.e. finalize who will actually be the pm, etc. form the government, then the aid will be stopped..or am i off base here?

thats the way I read it....cut funding or do something......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum