I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Melkert hopes new Iraq gov''t will have "political will" to comply will all relevant resolutions

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

August 4, 2010

Melkert hopes new Iraq gov''t will have "political will" to comply will all relevant resolutions

UNITED NATIONS, UN Special Representative for Iraq Ad Melkert on Wednesday said Iraq knows perfectly what it has to do to get out from under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, but what it also needs is "basically the political will" which will hopefully come with the new government once formed. "We advise the Iraqi Government on this. I think it is quite clear to everybody what needs to happen. It is basically a matter of political will and that should come hopefully in the near future," Melkert told KUNA in anan interview following his briefing to the Security Council on the work of the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAM)I).

On whether Iraq has done enough, as it claims, to get out from under Chapter VII, he said the Iraqi Government has "definitely taken a number of steps (but) still further steps are needed, particularly in the normalization of of the relations with Kuwait on the basis of resolution 833 and we are, as UNAMI, involved in interaction with both the Government of Iraq and the Government of Kuwait to encourage parties to come to an agreement on that."

"I believe it is possible and I also believe the time has come with the start of a new government in Iraq, hopefully anytime soon, to take decisive steps and contribute to the likelihood that Iraq could exit from Chapter VII very soon."

Asked what reasons he believes are behind Iraq's refusal to allow UN experts to maintain the border posts, Melkert said "it may be due to the pending government formation." "I do hope that the new Iraqi government will, as soon as possible, fulfill all its obligations, because I strongly believe it is in the interest of Iraq and Kuwait and the wider region that all these issues will be resolved and we will continue our interaction with the government in Baghdad on this."

On the period following the withdrawal of US combat troops from Iraq, Melkert said "it is necessary to organize ourselves, the infrastructure for the security of our staff, for the possibility to operate in the country. We have been relying on some support from others, including the US. We are working with the Iraqi security forces to enable the transition for a strong UN involvement in the next few years.

That is the wish of the Iraqi Government and of the members of the Security Council and this is right now in the preparations."

Assessing Kuwait's help to Iraq, Melkert said "contributions have been made in a way that is part of the agreement and it must be possible from both sides now to come to an agreement, and I do know from the new Iraqi Ambassador in Kuwait that he is also on top of that matter and no doubt he will try to play his part."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum