I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Flop to some Iraq oil sale may be victory to others

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Flop to some Iraq oil sale may be victory to others

Reuters, Wednesday July 1 2009

By Suadad al-Salhy and Ahmed Rasheed

BAGHDAD, July 1 (Reuters) - To oil executives, Iraq's first auction of energy contracts since the U.S. invasion was a giant flop. To Iraqis, basking in a renewed sense of sovereignty and nationalism, it may turn out looking like a victory.

Iraq's embattled Oil Minister Hussain al-Shahristani did not look particularly pleased on Tuesday after Iraq secured just one deal to develop an oilfield out of the eight massive oil and gas fields it had put out to tender.

Despite the lure of the world's third biggest and largely underexplored oil reserves, energy firms balked at the cheap price Iraq was willing to pay them for helping it boost lacklustre oil production so that it can raise the billions it needs to recover from six years of war.

But by standing up to global oil majors and refusing to give up Iraq's prized oil wealth at any cost, Shahristani may end up bolstering his position, some Iraqi politicians say.

"Yes, we set tough contractual terms with foreign oil firms, but all that is to make it clear to all Iraqis we are keen to safeguard Iraqi oil revenues," Shahristani told reporters after bidding for the oil and gas fields had concluded.

The auction coincided with the pullout of U.S. troops from Iraqi cities under a bilateral security agreement, the first step toward a full U.S. withdrawal by the end of 2011. That has fuelled a sense of national pride as Iraqis start to believe they can throw off the shackles of a foreign occupation.

Having staked his ambitions for increasing Iraq's oil output on successfully attracting foreign expertise and capital into the country, the lack of deals at the auction has prompted questions about Shahristani's future as oil minister.

Only a BP-led group managed to secure a contract, for Iraq's biggest oilfield, Rumaila.

TACIT BACKING

Yet Shahristani's stance won the tacit backing of some of his colleagues on Wednesday when the cabinet also rejected the proposals from energy firms for developing the seven oil and gas fields that were not awarded.

"If the cabinet rejected these offers, that means, the rejection was for technical reasons not personal reasons," said Kamal al-Saadi, a lawmaker from Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's Dawa Party.

"I do not think that Shahristani will resign, because he knows that the prime minister was the person who invited him to encourage companies to invest in this country and develop the oil wealth."

Nabil Ismail, of the Supreme Islamic Iraqi Council, which while partnered with Dawa in government is also its main rival for Shi'ite votes, said the cabinet and the minister were right to reject deals that failed to meet Iraq's needs.

"Shahristani will not resign," said Ismail, a member of parliament's finance committee.

"What he did was to preserve public funds. Shahristani proved that his policy is serving the people, not the reverse."

Political analyst Mazin al-Shammari said Shahristani's trump card was that he appeared to have the prime minister's support. To challenge Shahristani would be to challenge Maliki, and few would contemplate doing that at this moment in time.

"Maliki's attendance (at the bidding) is a blessing for Shahristani. I think he succeeded in his job," Shammari said.

Yet politics in Iraq is volatile and allegiances can be fleeting. The minister also faces vocal critics.

The Oil Ministry and the Shi'ite Arab-led government as a whole are embroiled in a dispute with semi-autonomous Kurds over land, power and Iraq's monumental oil wealth.

"It was definitely a failure," said Ali Balou, the Kurdish head of parliament's oil and gas committee.

"We advised Shahristani to work with parliament to provide legal cover for these contracts. Shahristani turned his back on parliament and then the oil firms turned their backs on him."

It is my understanding, the "pending" IMF loan, which Iraq needs...but has not yet signed is for January 2010, and thereafter.

They appear to be jockeying for income/etc...to preempt having to actually sign for this loan.

Why? The IMF will dictate a "free market economy." That precludes running National Oil Companies, which is their current posture. That would require that they really open up Iraq for developement with International companies....in partnership....instead of this low-ball "hail Mary" approach they are taking to bail out their forthcoming budget needs.

Does anybody seriously think that Iraq's state-owned oil company can increase production? If that were possible, would they not have already done it? Their bargaining stance is weak. They remind me of Pee Wee Herman saying, "I meant to do that," as their reason for underperformance in their Oil sector.

OWL

agree with authors point about (SOC?) Iraqi state0owned oil company would have ALREADY proved it can increase production, IF it even could. Thin-ice is what I think the Iraqi's are on. The bid process is looking like a "sham" to me. I think Sharistani got his 'bluff called' and now they are doing the 'real deals' behind closed doors. So who cares really! Just MY humble opinion. Rolling Eyes

concerning the "oil output".....I strongly believe that full potential has been held back due to the fact Kuwait is getting 5% right off the top.....hence why the rough times between the two countries recently.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum