I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

French prime minister in Iraq to sign business deals

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

French prime minister in Iraq to sign business deals

Friday, July 03, 2009

Listen to the Article - Powered by

BAGHDAD: France's prime minister on Thursday agreed to boost business ties with Iraq and signed a number of agreements to promote investments. Prime Minister Francois Fillon led a group of 30 high-level French business executives, including the president of the Total oil company and the head of the European aerospace and defense contractor EADS.
"It is high time now we look to the future. The team accompanying me represents major French firms. Currently, we have firms working in Iraq in the field of transportation and airports. We have signed an agreement to protect French investments and an office for French firms will soon be opened in Baghdad," Fillon said after talks with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.
The two countries signed a joint declaration on economic and investment cooperation, and on cooperation in weapons, strategic analysis and defense training.
A French statement said that France offered support for Iraq's potential bid to join the World Trade Organization and for an Iraq-EU trade deal, and that the two sides agreed to discuss a double taxation deal They also agreed on a 10 million euro ($14.05 million) training program for engineers in the road construction sector, and another engineer training program in the water sector.
They also agreed to create a 10 million euro fund to be used for transport, environment and energy projects, and on an engineer training program to be run by France's Suez-Degremont, and a road construction training program.

They also discussed rail cooperation, and grants for Iraqi students traveling to France, easing visa issuance for French and Iraq business travelers and investment guarantees.
Al-Maliki said that improved security would help bring foreign investors back to Iraq.
"The French delegation includes cabinet ministers and representatives of French firms which wish to work in Baghdad after a forced absence from the country. Now that force is not there anymore," al-Maliki said. Overall violence has dropped in Iraq, from 160 attacks a day in 2007 to about 10 or 15 a day now. But there has been a surge in violence in the past two weeks coinciding with the June 30 withdrawal of US combat troops from all urban areas. - AP

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article....icle_id=103746

violence has been down for over 6 months but as soon as USA troops go back on bases...the france moves in 2 day later...is it me or is this really odd the timing????

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum