I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

SG Letter to SC regarding high level coordinator

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

windreader1

Background--Resolution 1958 (2010) (see below), directed the Secretary General to establish two escrow accounts in the amount of $20 million and $131 million. The $20 million account was to be used to pay for administrative costs including the High-Level Coordinator. The High-Level Coordinator is responsible for the Iraq/Kuwait issues which are still under Chapter VII. The letter from the Secretary General (see below) is informing the Council of the High-Level Coordinator position for the first six months and payment for those expenditures was from the escrow account. The SG is also informing the Council of the anticipated expenditures for the High-Level Coordinator to the end of the year. Further that those funds will be transferred from the escrow account to the Department of Political Affairs. This is another indicator that Chapter VII will continue for several more months. Windreader1

United Nations S/2011/477
Security Council Distr.: General
29 July 2011
Original: English

Letter dated 26 July 2011 from the Secretary-General addressed
to the President of the Security Council.
I should like to inform the members of the Council about the activities
undertaken to fulfil the mandate outlined in paragraph 14 of Security Council
resolution 1284 (1999) and requested in a letter dated 26 March 2008 from the
President of the Security Council to the Secretary-General (S/2008/206).

Expenditures for such activities amounted to $168,405 from 1 January to 30 June
2011. The funds were provided through transfers from the Iraq escrow account.
I have taken note of the statement made to the press on 22 June 2011 by the
Security Council on Iraq/Kuwait, in which the Council noted the agreement of its
members to finance the continuation of the activities of the High-level Coordinator
for a further period of six months.

All parties should translate political statements of goodwill into concrete
actions to enable progress during the coming months to resolve outstanding issues.
Therefore, the period ahead will require further intensification of the activities of
the High-level Coordinator. To that end, it would be necessary to allocate resources
sufficient to finance the activities of the High-level Coordinator and his support
staff until 31 December 2011 in the amount of $214,600. It is suggested that these
funds be earmarked from the fund balance of the escrow account
created pursuant to
Security Council resolution 1958 (2010).

Should the Council agree with this proposal, the funds will be transferred
within the escrow account and made available to the Department of Political Affairs

of the Secretariat, which backstops the activities of the High-level Coordinator.
I should be grateful if you would bring the present letter to the attention of the
members of the Security Council.

(Signed) BAN Ki-moon

Resolution 1958 (2010)
3. Authorizes the Secretary-General to establish an escrow account for the
purposes of paragraphs 4 and 5 of this resolution, to appoint independent and certified
public accountants to audit it, and to keep the Government of Iraq fully informed;

4. Authorizes the Secretary-General to ensure that 20 million United States
dollars of the Iraq Account are retained in the escrow account until 31 December
2016, exclusively for the expenses of the United Nations related to the orderly
termination of the residual activities of the Program, including the Organization’s
support to member State investigations and member State proceedings related to the
Program, and the expenses of the high-level coordinator’s office created pursuant to
resolution 1284 and further requests that all remaining funds are to be transferred to
the Government of Iraq by 31 December 2016;

5. Authorizes the Secretary-General to ensure that up to 131 million United
States dollars of the Iraq Account are retained in the escrow account for the purpose
of providing indemnification to the United Nations, its representatives, agents, and
independent contractors for a period of six years with regard to all activities in
connection with the Program since its inception, and further requests that all
remaining funds are to be transferred to the Government of Iraq by 31 December
2016;

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

many thanks Wind.....no-one stays on top of the UN stuff like you do!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum