I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iraq looking to July for removal from chapter 7 back May 23rd

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Iraq looking to July for removal from chapter 7 back May 23rd
Iraq eyes Turkey help over Chapter VII
Sat, 23 May 2009 08:31:31 GMT
Font size :

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari

The Iraqi FM has called on his Turkish counterpart to remove Iraq from Chapter VII of the UN charter when Turkey assumes the presidency of the UNSC.

According to Fars News Agency, a statement from Iraq's Foreign Ministry said that Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari telephoned Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu and discussed lifting international sanctions against Iraq.

The statement said that the two ministers also discussed bilateral ties and the situation of the region.

According to a UN Security Council resolution, passed after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, the international community is obliged to deal with Iraq under Chapter VII which indicates Iraq to be a country that poses a threat to global security.

Turkey will accept the rotating presidency of the United Nation Security Council for the month of July. Iraq has called on its neighbor to propose revisions to previous UNSC resolutions against the country, adopted under Chapter VII of the UN Charter during the time of the Baath regime.

Under a recently passed security agreement between Baghdad and Washington, the US has agreed to take steps to remove Iraq from Chapter VII of the UN Charter.

Until 2003, the US had been insisting that Chapter VII should apply to Iraq because the Saddam regime was pursuing a program to develop weapons of mass destruction. However, no WMDs were found in Iraq despite US allegations.

Chapter VII allows the UN to freeze assets of a country which poses a threat to world security.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id...onid=351020201

Well it's July...so will it get lifted this month?? thanks thump

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum