I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Geithner: Action against Wall St. coming

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Geithner: Action against Wall St. coming Empty Geithner: Action against Wall St. coming Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

Geithner: Action against Wall St. coming

'Stay tuned' for a new round of 'dramatic enforcement actions' against Wall St., says Geithner. | AP Photo Close
By TIM MAK | 10/14/11 10:51 AM EDT Updated: 10/14/11 1:45 PM EDT

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner suggested Friday that a new round of “dramatic enforcement actions” against Wall Street wrongdoing is coming.

“Stay tuned for that,” Geithner said.

POLITICO 44
Asked on CNBC about the Occupy Wall Street movement’s frustrations over the lack of criminal charges related to the financial crisis, Geithner said action is on the way.

“You’ve seen very, very dramatic enforcement actions already by the enforcement authorities across the U.S. government, and I’m sure you’re going to see more to come. You should stay tuned for that,” he said.

Progressive groups have often pushed for Wall Street CEOs to be prosecuted for the financial crisis of 2008.

“I think there are some investigations — hopefully, they will lead to criminal charges, but what I think the average American is saying is that if a kid smokes marijuana, that kid could end up in jail. These people [on Wall Street], because of their activity, destroyed the economy. Millions of people lost their jobs, their homes, their life savings, and now they’re making more than they ever did before,” said independent Rep. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) last month on CNN.

Geithner Friday said the Obama administration had moved swiftly after the crisis to put into place new protections for consumers and investors.

“We moved very quickly to put in place a much stronger set of rules of the game across the financial sector. Now, we’re now facing a lot of resistance to those rules, but we’re going to make sure that we deliver the promise of those reforms, which is a much tougher set of rules across the system against risk-taking and much stronger protections for consumers,” he said.

Geithner responded to the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations by asserting that their unhappiness was due to the sluggish pace of overall economic growth.

“What you see is a general sense across the country of concern that the U.S. economy is not growing faster, you’re not seeing incomes rise more rapidly, and people want to make sure that the government, Washington, is acting to make things better now. As part of that, they want to see us deliver much stronger protections for consumers and investors as an economy as a whole,” Geithner said on CNBC.

The Treasury Secretary added that the domestic focus was to ensure that Congress would take steps that would encourage economic growth and lower the deficit.

“What we’re focused on is trying to make sure that we are doing everything to encourage Congress. … to take some steps now that can make growth stronger in the United States, and tie that to reforms to bring down our long-term deficits,” he said.

Geithner’s comments about a new round of “enforcement actions” comes as Raj Rajaratnam, the former head of the Galleon Group hedge fund, was sentenced to 11 years in prison Thursday for insider trading — the strictest sentence ever for that crime.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65969.html#ixzz1atyHIRUO

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

Did Tim Geithner Promise The Protesters Some "Dramatic" Arrests Of Wall Street Execs?

There's been a lot of buzz about Tim Geithner's interview on CNBC this Friday, and the point where Steve LIesman asked him about arrests on Wall Street, and whether the protesters had a legitimate grievance that there haven't been more criminal crackdowns post-crisis.

POLITICO clipped the relevant bit

http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-geithner-enforcement-actions-2011-10

Here's the key line:

“You’ve seen very, very dramatic enforcement actions already by the enforcement authorities across the U.S. government, and I’m sure you’re going to see more to come. You should stay tuned for that.”

While some might read this as "more dramatic enforcement", David Dayen at FireDogLake argues that if Tim Geithner things that we've already seen "very, very dramatic enforcement actions" then he's already starting from a pretty different premise than the protesters, and so "more to come" may not mean very much. What's, he's not involved in this kind of stuff, and not really an authority.

Bottom line: We probalby haven't seen the last of the legal action, but it'd be surprising to see anything real widespread or big.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-geithner-enforcement-actions-2011-10

windreader1

Hopefully there will be legal action against S&P. I believe they are still under investigation.

chevy#3

Hopefully there will be legal action also against this "coddling" of wall street because this is exactly what is keeping economic recovery from happening!! Look who's talking here,...timothy geithner,the ultimate coddler!!! It may be a good article for campaign coffer's,but not for America!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum