I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kuwait to exempt Iraq from chapter 7 after resolving differences

+3
sundog
outkastjamz
Roxy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Politics 7/5/2009 11:46:00 AM Parliament Speaker Jassem Al-KharafiKUWAIT, July 5 (KUNA) -- Kuwait will see that Iraq is exempted from the UN's Chapter 7 after both ends resolve differences through political channels, Parliament Speaker Jassem Al-Kharafi said Sunday.
"I assure you that we will work for what is best for Kuwait and Iraq", Al-Kharafi said adding that "we will make sure that these -Kuwaiti-Iraqi - relations are not sabotaged." These remarks came in a press conference held on the sidelines of receiving Iraqi Parliament Speaker Iyad Al-Samarraie and his accompanying staff in Kuwait.
Al-Kharafi welcomed Al-Samarraie in his first visit to Kuwait since becoming speaker.
Executive and legislative authorities in both countries will work on resolving these "minor" issues, he said.
Stability of relations affects not only Kuwait and Iraq, he said, but also the Arab World and the region in general.
Another press conference is due to be held with the Iraqi Speaker of the Parliament after Al-Samarraie is "briefed on the Kuwaiti viewpoint," he said.
Al-Kharafi hoped that Al-Samarraie's meetings with Kuwaiti officials will prove fruitful.
The Iraqi delegation is scheduled to meet His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Nasser Al-Mohammad Al-Sabah, Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs, Minister of State for Development Affairs and Minister of State for Housing Affairs, Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah.
The delegation will also meet Chief of National Security Sheikh Mohammad Al-Khalid Al-Sabah. (end) ms.aa.aia KUNA 051146 Jul 09NNNN

http://www.kuna.net.kw/NewsAgenciesP...46&Language=en

me thinks Kuwait is a little full of themselves again.........

Roxy

Roxy

Well..........Kuwait down what about Saudi?

outkastjamz

Can't We all just get Rv'd.................Thnx Thump

Roxy wrote:Well..........Kuwait down what about Saudi?
pirat

doubt Kuwait or Saudi has the stroke they think they have......neither hold a permanent seat
on te counsil......but Kawait has raise a lot of sand over this trying to persuade member countries that do.
Saudi?.......even less of a player than Kuwait IMO......just someone's opinion that needed an excuse for another RV date gone by.......

sundog

Thumper - just wanted to say thanks for all the great articles you bring forth every morning. It's always interesting reading.

No thanks needed Sun....just trying to help our members get an overall view of things rather than putting faith in some selfproclaimed "dinar guru".....the more people read and learn the more they understand....the more difficult
it is to be swayed by someone making stuff up as they go along.

Tom@3.86

Tom@3.86

thumper wrote:No thanks needed Sun....just trying to help our members get an overall view of things rather than putting faith in some selfproclaimed "dinar guru".....the more people read and learn the more they understand....the more difficult
it is to be swayed by someone making stuff up as they go along.

Thanks might not be needed, but, THANKS, just the same, thump. In the past 2 weeks, I, for one, have committed myself to reading and learning more so that I can understand more of what is going on. Been lurking in the shadows letting everyone else do the work for too long. I like to read so post it baby, post it.

BTW, don't take the "baby" part personally...lol

outkastjamz

Do you two need to get a room...lol....We do appreciate your hard work thump..makes following this investment a whole lot easier...Now you and Tom carry on!!!

windreader1

thumper wrote:me thinks Kuwait is a little full of themselves again.........

Thump, you are right. This does not say that it is a done deal but that "Kuwait will see that Iraq is exempted from the UN's Chapter 7 after both ends resolve differences through political channels" This sounds like Kuwait will only withdraw its objections once it gets what they want.

Secretary General was to give his report in June...for reason we don't know it has been delayed to "by July 15th"...JMO but I believe the delay has been the Kuwait issue...if Iraq/Kuwait go to bilateral agreements then it would be out from under the UN resolutions. I think Secretary General has been waiting for these bilateral agreements before issuing his report to the UN.

Saudi debt was structured under Paris Club so it has never in my opinion been a hold up of the RV. Interesting that the "guru's" were screaming "saudi debt" but now have are screaming "UN 7".

MrsCK wrote:Secretary General was to give his report in June...for reason we don't know it has been delayed to "by July 15th"...JMO but I believe the delay has been the Kuwait issue...if Iraq/Kuwait go to bilateral agreements then it would be out from under the UN resolutions. I think Secretary General has been waiting for these bilateral agreements before issuing his report to the UN.

Saudi debt was structured under Paris Club so it has never in my opinion been a hold up of the RV. Interesting that the "guru's" were screaming "saudi debt" but now have are screaming "UN 7".

lemme guess....starts with a D and ends with a uck.......lol.

azdinar

Here is one more:

Iraqi parliament speaker in Kuwait discuss the compensation owed to his country and Kuwait stresses its adherence to international resolutions

PNA-Prime parliament Iyad Samarrai, a visit to Kuwait on Sunday to discuss the issue of compensation owed to his country from the invasion of Kuwait in 1990, stressed his Kuwaiti counterpart Jassem al-Kharafi to uphold the application of international resolutions in this regard.

Samurai met at the beginning of his four-day visit, with the Kuwaiti National Assembly Speaker Jassem Al-Kharafi, to meet during the visit, Prime Minister Sheikh Nasser Mohammad al-Sabah, Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs, Sheikh Ahmed Fahd Al Ahmed Al Sabah, and is expected to discuss Iraq with the demands on the compensation .

For his part, renewed emphasis on Khorafi's position, which stresses the need to implement international resolutions on the invasion of Kuwait in 1990, which includes compensation.

The recent escalation of tension between Iraq and Kuwait after the Iraqi MPs demand compensation request from Kuwait for allowing the use of their territory for the invasion of Iraq in 2003, while the Kuwaiti MPs called for the withdrawal of the Ambassador of Kuwait to Baghdad

Demands that Iraq and to reduce the value of the compensation to be paid for by Kuwait in the framework of United Nations sanctions imposed on it under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, which allows military intervention, and after the invasion of Kuwait in 1990.

And Iraq has already paid more than 13 billion dollars in compensation to Kuwait and still have to pay more than 25 billion dollars in outstanding debts as well as an estimated 16 billion dollars.

For its part, Kuwait has been launched on May 20 last diplomatic campaign in the Security Council to resolve differences concerning the demarcation of the border, missing persons and stolen property during the Iraqi occupation, which lasted seven months.

Iraq has repeatedly called for since the fall of the former regime, foreign countries, especially Kuwait and the write-off tens of billions of dollars owed, or significantly reduced, at least.

http://74.125.19.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ar&tl=en&u=http://www.sotaliraq.com/iraqnews.php?id=44244&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhg4LMG9cwwOXB1QsAhk1u8zGlQycg

Iraqi MPs demand compensation request from Kuwait for allowing the use of their territory for the invasion of Iraq in 2003

Kuwait should start paying iraq now!!!

15Kuwait to exempt Iraq from chapter 7 after resolving differences Empty Pay To Quit Chapter VII Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Roxy

Roxy

7 June 2009
Kuwaiti parliamentarians on Sunday reiterated calls for Iraq to pay its
debts and war reparations imposed by the United Nations (UN) to
strengthen ties between the two nations. Kuwaiti and Iraqi lawmakers
exchanged heated statements after the Iraqis demanded Kuwait to pay
compensation for contributing to the US-led war in Iraq in 2003, while
the Kuwaitis cautioned Iraq on its attempt to break away from the
UN-imposed compensations. In a move to douse the escalating tension
between the two countries, HH the Amir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad
Al-Sabah urged the Kuwaiti MPs to refrain from issuing provocative
statements. He asked the lawmakers to remain calm and wise while
waiting for a meeting with the foreign affairs minister who highlighted
details of the Iraqi file Sunday.

After his meeting with 40 lawmakers on Sunday, Deputy Premier and
Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Dr Mohammed Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah
disclosed "we deliberated on issues concerning Iraq and Kuwait. During
my meeting with the Iraqi foreign minister, we agreed on the need to
silence those who are trying to weaken ties between the two countries.
These people are also trying to disrupt the political setup in Iraq,"
he added. "Kuwait went into war to liberate Iraq and regain its
position in the region. We dream of seeing a new Iraq that is peaceful
and abides by international resolutions," said Sheikh Mohamed Al-Sabah,
affirming he discussed updates with his Iraqi counterpart and they
agreed that the Kuwait-Iraq Joint Committee should hold an emergency
meeting to look into the pending issues through official channels.

"MPs stressed the need to deal with seemingly trivial matters before
these issues blow out of proportion. They were also keen on maintaining
good ties with Iraq," Sheikh Mohamed Al-Sabah said when asked about
results of the meeting. Meanwhile, Chairman of the parliamentary
Foreign Affairs Committee MP Marzouq Al-Ghanem asserted "payment of
compensations and debts to Kuwait is essential for Iraq to get out of
Chapter Seven." He said the Kuwaiti parliamentarians hope the Iraqi
government will strictly abide by the directives of the UN. He added
the ministers and MPs unanimously agreed on the importance of UN's
supervision in addressing the problem. "We're not asking much. We only
demand proper implementation of UN resolutions," he explained.

Al-Ghanem disclosed Kuwaiti Ambassador to Iraq Ali Al-Momen lauded the
Iraqi officials' commitment to resolve pending issues between the two
countries. "We don't want to escalate tension and we will not respond
to provocative statements," he declared, obviously referring to the
statements of some Iraqi officials who demanded demarcation of land and
boundaries between Kuwait and Iraq. Asked about the alleged intension
of the US to help Iraq get out of Chapter Seven, Al-Ghanem explained
"I'm not authorized to talk on behalf of the US. Kuwait is not against
this move but Iraq should settle its debts to Kuwait before getting out
of the disputed chapter."

On the other hand, MP Waleed Al-Tabtabaei warned the reopening of
Iraqi-Kuwaiti borders is like "playing with fire", pointing out the
issue has been settled through internationally approved resolutions.
Al-Tabtabaei went on to say "the political officials in Iraq wasted
millions of dinars in corruption rather than providing the needs of
their nation and paying its debts. They should be charged for
corruption and damaging infrastructure ". In April, Kuwaiti officials
said Iraq should pay the oil-rich country $25.5 billion to compensate
for damages caused by the seven-month Iraqi occupation of Kuwait under
the regime of Saddam Hussein, in addition to debts amounting to $16
billion.

Agencies add:
Iraqi and Kuwaiti officials are to meet soon to discuss a row over UN
resolutions adopted after Saddam Hussein's 1990 invasion of the
emirate, the Kuwaiti foreign minister said on Sunday. "I have agreed
with Iraqi Foreign Minister (Hoshyar Zebari) to hold an urgent meeting
of the Iraq-Kuwait joint commission to discuss all issues through
official channels," Sheikh Mohammed al-Sabah told reporters, without
setting any date. He was speaking after meeting Kuwaiti MPs to discuss
the latest row over Iraqi calls for an easing of the two-decade-old UN
sanctions that provide for multi-billion dollar reparations payments to
its far richer Arab neighbour.

But Kuwait insists there should be no change in the Security Council's
position until its resolutions have been fully complied with.
Members of parliament in the two countries have traded accusations,
with Iraqi MPs urging Kuwait to forgive tens of billions of dollars in
reparations and debt, and also renegotiate the demarcation of the
border. Iraq currently pays five percent of its oil revenues to a
special UN fund. Kuwait has received about $13 billion from Iraq but a
further $25.5 billion remains unpaid. Kuwaiti MPs had urged the
government to recall its ambassador, who only took up post last October
as the emirate's first envoy in Baghdad since the 1990 invasion.

http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidZA...Kuwait,%20Iraq %20Set%20Reparation%20Talks%3B%20Pay%20to%20quit%2 0Chapter%207:%20MPs20/

Iraqi and Kuwaiti officials are to meet soon to discuss a row over UN resolutions adopted

UNreal!!! How many meeting does it take to get is issue gone? they been talk and doing meetings for 6 months now!!!

redfox55

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum