I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

South Carolina voter ID law blocked by Justice Department First voter ID law to be rejected by the federal government in nearly 20 years.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gente

gente

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/south-carolina-voter-id-law-blocked-justice-department-article-1.996430#ixzz1hYWQS9cj

South Carolina voter ID law blocked by Justice Department
First voter ID law to be rejected by the federal government in nearly 20 years.

BY Brian Browdie
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

South Carolina will need to scrap a new requirement that requires voters to show photo identification at the polls.

The Justice Department blocked implementation of the state's voter ID law on Friday, saying it could make it harder for tens of thousands of minorities to vote, according to the Associated Press. It is the first voter ID law to be rejected by the federal government in nearly 20 years.

Assistant Attorney General Thomas Perez outlined the large number of citizens the legislation would affect in a letter to South Carolina officials, the Los Angeles Times reported.

"According to the state's statistics, there are 81,938 minority citizens who are already registered to vote and who lack DMV-issued identification," Perez wrote, referring to driver’s licenses issued by the state's Department of Motor Vehicles, the most common form of photo ID.

The law requires voters to show poll workers a state-issued driver's license or several other forms of photo identification.

Perez said South Carolina's law didn't satisfy the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which outlaws discriminatory practices preventing blacks and other minorities from voting.

South Carolina's law was passed by a Republican-controlled legislature and signed by Governor Nikki Haley. The Tea Party darling took to Facebook after the Justice Department's action, saying that President Barack Obama is fighting conservative ideas.

"The President and his bullish administration are fighting us every step of the way," Haley wrote. "It is outrageous, and we plan to look at every possible option to get this clearly political decision overturned so we can protect the integrity of our electoral process and our 10th amendment rights."

South Carolina is one of five states that passed laws this year requiring some form of ID at the polls.

Republicans tend to back the measures, which they say prevent voter fraud. Democrats contend the laws are actually designed to reduce minority votes for their candidates.

The Voting Rights Act requires Justice Department approval of changes to South Carolina's election law because of the state's past failure to protect the voting rights of blacks. It is among nine states that require such approval.

In 1994, the department rejected a Louisiana photo ID law, but later approved it with changes.

With News Wire Services

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/south-carolina-voter-id-law-blocked-justice-department-article-1.996430#ixzz3Bwryt3y9

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

this seems aimed at getting illegal aliens access at the voting booths......god help us if that ever happens.

donnc

Obama tricked the college kids and older generation into votin for him.Now that he's pissed them off, the only votes he can muster now,
is the illegals and dead people.

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

I still believe thats how he got elected......welfare recipients and dead people......

chevy#3

he wasn't elected..he was arranged via welfare recipients and dead people..

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

sorry....think the original founders idea's concerning voting rights was closer to the mark than what we have today......just think if voting was restricted to only those who are productive participants to the system.

chevy#3

i just meant that computer voting is compromised period! JMO

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

concur....just believe other changes with voting laws should happen also ie; voting rights for someone that relys on welfare with no job history should be suspended.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum