I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ban sees early signs of movement on recovering missing Kuwaitis from Iraq

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

windreader1

This is the press release regarding the report to the Security Council.

Ban sees early signs of movement on recovering missing Kuwaitis from Iraq

20 October 2009 – There are indications of movement on the issue of recovering the remains of Kuwaitis and other nationals missing since the 1990 Gulf war, according to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who also warns that progress on this front remains fragile.

Earlier this year, Mr. Ban proposed a “confidence- and cooperation-building period” between Iraq and Kuwait that would last until June 2010 to further encourage the parties to achieve progress and to strengthen their cooperation.

In a report to the Security Council that was released today, Mr. Ban welcomes the fact that the first six months of this period have brought about some “initial indications of movement” on the issue of missing Kuwaiti and third-country nationals.

“Progress remains fragile, however. The main task of discovering and identifying the victims and, finally, closing their files lies ahead,” he writes, adding that this objective can be achieved only through increased cooperation between the two countries.

“I call on Iraq and Kuwait to redouble their efforts in the coming months to achieve visible and significant progress in the search for missing persons and property, including archives.
“This will not only help to resolve the long-standing humanitarian issue but also increase mutual trust and confidence, thus contributing to the resolution of other outstanding problems between the two countries,” he adds.

High-level Coordinator Gennady Tarasov, the UN focal point on the issue, visited Kuwait from 30 May to 3 June to discuss ways to ensure the success of the confidence-and cooperation-building period. While there he had the chance to meet with both Kuwaiti and Iraqi representatives, who stressed their intention to accelerate practical steps to achieve progress.

Among the developments during the past nine months, the report notes that the remains of the missing United States serviceman, Captain Michael Scott Speicher, had been found in Iraq.

Efforts since 2003 have resulted in the recovery and identification of 236 individuals and the return of some Kuwaiti property.

The report adds that the Kuwaiti national archives have not been found and no credible information about their whereabouts has emerged.

windreader1

The following are excerpts from the Secretary General's report to the Security Council. Note the recommendation is to continue this issue for another six months. This is one of the sanctions listed under Chapter VII in Resolution 1859 which is due to expire on December 31st, 2009. If the Security Council does "extend the financing of the Coordinator’s mandate" for another six months it will impact the Council's action on Chapter VII. There are a couple of options. One would be to continue with the existing sanction which means issuing a new resolution to continue Chapter VII or move this issue to the UNAMI program for oversight. I do not believe the Security Council will do away with this issue as I have yet to see them take action that is in conflict with the Secretary General's recommendations. Windreader1

United Nations

Security Council
S/2009/539

Twenty-eighth report of the Secretary-General pursuant to paragraph 14 of resolution 1284 (1999)

I. Introduction

1. The present report is submitted pursuant to paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999). Since June 2006 the frequency of reports on compliance by Iraq with its obligations regarding the repatriation or return of all Kuwaiti and thirdcountry nationals, or their remains, has been reduced from every four months to every six months (see S/2006/468 and S/2006/469). My reports under paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999) now cover both the issue of missing Kuwaiti and third-country nationals and the issue of missing Kuwaiti property, including national archives. My twenty-seventh report (S/2008/761) was submitted in December 2008. The present report covers developments from April to October 2009.

II. Background

7. The facts relevant to the mandate of the Coordinator were outlined in section II.C of my report (S/2009/385) pursuant to paragraph 5 of Security Council resolution 1859 (2008).

V. Observations

25. The attainment of practical results on the ground is a matter of primary importance. I call on Iraq and Kuwait to redouble their efforts in the coming months to achieve visible and significant progress in the search for missing persons and property, including archives. This will not only help to resolve the long-standing humanitarian issue but also increase mutual trust and confidence, thus contributing to the resolution of other outstanding problems between the two countries, strengthening their good-neighbourly relations and enhancing regional stability and cooperation.

26. I recommend that the Security Council extend the financing of the Coordinator’s mandate until June 2010 in order to achieve its objectives and promote the process of confidence- and cooperation-building between Iraq and Kuwait.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum