I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

UAE has No Plans to Rejoin Monetary Union

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1UAE has No Plans to Rejoin Monetary Union Empty UAE has No Plans to Rejoin Monetary Union Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:42 am

UAE has No Plans to Rejoin Monetary
Union
(Bloomberg)
17 November 2009
DUBAI — The UAE has no plans to rejoin Gulf states working to establish a single currency, Minister of State for
Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said.

“The UAE has already taken a clear position on that and we’ve opted out of the single currency,” Gargash said in an interview today in Abu Dhabi. “There’s no new
development here.”

Oman pulled out of the monetary union project in 2007 and the UAE followed earlier this year after the Saudi capital of Riyadh was chosen to host the Monetary Council, the precursor to the central bank. Six Gulf Arab states agreed in 2001 to form a European Union-style currency union to boost trade and allow for a more independent monetary policy.

UAE central bank Governor Bank Governor Sultan bin Nasser Al Suwaidi said on October 29 that his country saw no alternative to the US dollar as a currency peg and was not considering a return to the Gulf monetary union project.

Speculation that Gulf states would abandon their currency pegs reached a peak in November 2007 following Kuwait’s decision in May that year to link the dinar to a basket of currencies instead of solely the dollar.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum