I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iraq election likely in March

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Iraq election likely in March Empty Iraq election likely in March Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:53 am

littlekracker

November 29, 2009

Iraq election likely in March: parliament speaker

BAGHDAD (AFP) – Iraq's faltering election will likely be held in March, the speaker of the nation's parliament said on Friday, the latest date yet mooted by a senior official.

Iyad al-Samarrai's remarks come as politicians continued to seek a breakthrough over a stalled electoral law, without which an election cannot be held.

“The (election) commission announced it would be held on January 16th, this is not possible anymore because there is no law,” Samarrai told the state-funded Al-Iraqiya television channel.

“I believe that the election will be held in March.”

While officials have acknowledged that the January election date has become untenable because of delays to the election law, no one has yet mentioned a date as late as March.

Iraq's constitution requires that the poll be held by January 31.

The United States has put pressure on Iraqi politicians to avoid a delay as Washington seeks to ensure that the pullout of thousands of troops stationed in the country goes ahead on schedule.

Though lawmakers approved a law regarding the election earlier this month, it was vetoed by Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi.

This week, MPs passed an amended version and it is currently before Iraq's three-member presidential council, composed of President Jalal Talabani, a Kurd, and vice presidents Hashemi, a Sunni, and Adel Abdel Mehdi, a Shiite.

Only one of them needs to veto the bill for it to be sent back to parliament.

If a second veto is used, parliament can overturn it with a 60 percent majority. An alliance of Shiite and Kurdish MPs would surpass that threshold with around 30 votes to spare in the 275-seat assembly.

2Iraq election likely in March Empty Re: Iraq election likely in March Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:25 pm

wanna bet they screw this up?

3Iraq election likely in March Empty Re: Iraq election likely in March Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:28 pm

GOOD GOSH MARCH??????????? what are they thinking!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum