I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Single GCC currency to be launched at summit?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

littlekracker

KUWAIT, Dec 6 (KUNA) -- Speaker of the National Assembly Jassem Al-Kharafi expressed hope on Sunday that the single GCC currency would be launched at the Gulf summit due here in the middle of this month.

Al-Kharafi, speaking to journalists on sidelines of a ceremony held by the UAE embassy marking the 38th National Day anniversary of the Gulf state, stated, "The most crucial issue in this respect is the launch of the single currency," indicating that abstention of two GCC states from joining the treaty should not obstruct the general approach of the member states of the council toward this realizing this objective.
He indicated at a consensus among the six GCC states that if some member states opt to refrain from adopting the common currency, in the beginning, they can follow the other states' suit later.
"A thousand mile trip begins with a single step ... We are on the right track with regard of the single currency ... and the issue requires more time."

The speaker of the Kuwaiti parliament expressed hope that the GCC summit would focus on the currency issue and realize this much-awaited aspiration for the peoples of the GCC countries.
He called in his statement for further steps to cancel border crossing procedures for the GCC nationals "to the extent that the GCC citizen would feel that he (or she) lived in a unified region." Al-Kharafi indicated at desire of the GCC peoples to see their leaders trying to accomplish deeper intersection of the interests of these states, and affirmed that the summit would symbolize the close cooperation among the GCC countries.
Asked whether the GCC leaders would discuss economic crises, he indicated that the Dubai financial crisis would be resolved "in a sound manner" and the efforts in this regard would be fully backed by the top leaders.
He expressed congratulations to the UAE on the national occasion. (end) ahj.amm.rk

single GCC currency would be launched at the Gulf summit due

That would be way cool if they can pull it off because past articles stated how much each country has to revalue to get them all on the same exchange rate.

windreader1

If I recall, I believe another condition is that the country has to be pegged to the dollar which means Kuwait would have to move from the basket back to the USD.

Yes...true all GCC countries have to be pegged to the dollar per their law...but with so much talk about Peg or not to Peg make me wonder if they may try and change it...I don't think they will...I've always said that Kuwait jumped to the basket because their financial minister opened his big mouth back in May 2007 and that when the GCC launched their currency Kuwait would have to come back to the dollar peg. Plus per many article out of Kuwait they had to cancel tenders for projects due to the basket exchange rate moving way to much around and kuwait & companys didn't want 3 or 5 year contracts with that much exchange rate moving around. So Kuwait has lost million if not billions of dollars in contracts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum