I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kurds talk turf, economy in Detroit

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kurds talk turf, economy in Detroit Empty Kurds talk turf, economy in Detroit Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:47 pm

littlekracker

Kurds talk turf, economy in Detroit
Published: Dec. 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM

DETROIT
, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- A delegation from the Kurdistan Regional Government met with Iraqi diaspora and business leaders in Detroit to discuss disputed territories and economic ties.

Fuad Hussein, the chief of staff to KRG President Massoud Barzani, and Falah Mustafa Bakir, the head of foreign relations in the KRG, led a delegation to the United States for a weeklong visit to Washington and Detroit.

Detroit has the largest population of Iraqi Chaldeans, Assyrians and Syriacs in the world outside of Iraq.

The Kurdish leaders welcomed the support from U.S. officials as Iraq recovers from more than six years of war.

"We are committed to maintaining a strong relationship with the United States, which we believe must remain engaged in Iraq to help us emerge from the current situation to become a democratic state," said Hussein.

U.S. forces ramped up their security efforts in Iraq in 2007 to secure the country while Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish political groups worked on political development. Despite improved security, political obstacles remain in terms of an oil law and the so-called disputed territories in northern Iraq.

The Kurdish provinces were shielded from the majority of the conflict in the country, however, boasting a vibrant economy during the war. Bakir said economic development is needed to help Iraq progress.

"We want the U.S. business community to partner with us, as so many other international firms from Europe and the Middle East have done, as we develop critical sectors such as agriculture, industry and tourism," he said.
Next Story: Trip to Beirut 'natural,' Assad says
or see all Special Reports stories

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum