I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

EU and Iraq sign partnership

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1EU and Iraq sign partnership Empty EU and Iraq sign partnership Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:53 pm

littlekracker

Energy
EU and Iraq sign partnership memorandum
By Dafydd ab Iago | Monday 18 January 2010

The EU and Iraq signed, on 18 January, a memorandum of understanding setting out an energy partnership. The EU has been keen to benefit from Iraq's return to international oil and gas markets. A central point to the memorandum is developing Iraq's gas supply capacities by identifying sources and supply routes from Iraq to the EU. The US-favoured Nabucco pipeline project could then be used to transit Iraqi gas to Europe.

In addition to increasing energy supplies from Iraq to the EU, the memorandum also aims to improve cooperation in other fields, notably the general development of Iraqi energy policy as well as renewables and energy efficiency measures. "Iraq represents a vital link for the EU's security of supply. It is already an important supplier of oil and can become a key gas supplier for the Southern Corridor," said the EU's outgoing Energy Commissioner, Andris Piebalgs. "The EU can help Iraq to develop its electricity system and tap its vast renewable resources."

Other areas of cooperation specified by the document are: a 2010-2015 energy action programme for EU-Iraq cooperation; an updated Iraqi gas development programme; assessing Iraqi hydrocarbon transit and supply networks as well as enhancing safety and reliability of the pipelines; ensuring sustainability of Iraqi energy policy, also in legislative, regulatory and institutional terms; and preparing a renewable energy action plan.

EU policy makers eagerly note that Iraq could become an "energy bridge" between the Middle East, the Mediterranean and the EU. The troubled country is also seen as a possible natural gas supplier for the EU's Southern Corridor of gas pipelines. The Commission adds that the country has the world's third largest proven petroleum reserves.

[R] See IP/10/29, also FR

2EU and Iraq sign partnership Empty Re: EU and Iraq sign partnership Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:19 pm

WOW A GAS ARTICLE!!!.........we read oil oil oil...but not much on gas

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum