I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

World Bank and IMF Welcome Iraq Into the Debtor Nation Fold On this 7th Anniversary of the U.S. Invasion

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

littlekracker

Thursday, March 18, 2010
World Bank and IMF Welcome Iraq Into the Debtor Nation Fold On this 7th Anniversary of the U.S. Invasion

On the anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, we learn that the country has come into the debtor nation/free trade fold, signing a $250 million loan agreement with the World Bank. Iraq is also taking $3.6 billion from the IMF. The World Bank and IMF are know to enforce neo-liberal free trade and spending austerity on loan recipients who probably need trade protection and spending to help their local economies.

Anup Shah writing for Global Issues describes common WB and IMF loan requirements:

* They prescribe cutbacks, “liberalization” of the economy and resource extraction/export-oriented open markets as part of their structural adjustment.
* The role of the state is minimized.
* Privatization is encouraged as well as reduced protection of domestic industries.
* Other adjustment policies also include currency devaluation, increased interest rates, “flexibility” of the labor market, and the elimination of subsidies such as food subsidies.
* To be attractive to foreign investors various regulations and standards are reduced or removed.

Shah goes on to describe the impact:

Governments therefore must:

* spend less
* reduce consumption
* remove or decrease financial regulations
* and so on.

Over time then:

* the value of labor decreases
* capital flows become more volatile
* a spiraling race to the bottom then begins, which generates
* social unrest, which in turn leads to “IMF riots” and protests around the world.

Along with bringing Iraq (formerly known as the Cradle of Civilization) to developing nation status, it appears that U.S. militarism will never change. The Pentagon Budget for next year is $708 billion with $56 billion being "black box" or classified and now we know why this will never change. According to OMB watch (citing a USA Today report), many members of congress in charge of Pentagon spending are knee deep in the defense industry.

Just_AL

Just_AL

That part under Over time then: sounds like a very negative opinion or pessimistic. IMO

I was hoping for increased currency value with lots of outside contracts and increased spending.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum