I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goldman Sachs: Yuan poised to become a global reserve currency

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

littlekracker

Goldman Sachs: Yuan poised to become a global reserve currency

March 25,2010

China’s yuan is destined to become a global reserve currency rivaling the dollar and the euro, as the nation’s economic power increases the currency’s allure, said Jim O’Neill, chief economist at Goldman Sachs Group Inc.

The Chinese government will “eventually” allow the yuan, or renminbi, to trade freely on foreign-exchange markets, dropping the system under which it controls its value, O’Neill wrote in an essay that formed part of a report published today for Chatham House, a London-based foreign affairs research organization.

“As China moves in this direction, other large emerging economies will presumably gradually move in the same direction and the end result will be something approximating to today’s Western monetary system,” London-based O’Neill wrote. “Under such a system, the renminbi, dollar and euro would all form the linchpin of the world’s currency markets.”

China is likely to overtake Japan as the world’s second- largest economy this year, said O’Neill, who coined the term BRICs to describe Brazil, Russia, India and China in 2001. In the next decade, along with other large emerging economies, the size of China’s economy will approach that of the U.S., he wrote.

The Chatham House report, which included a contribution from DeAnne Julius, a former member of the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee, was titled “Beyond the Dollar: Rethinking the International Monetary System.” Among its recommendations are a multicurrency reserve system and increased use of Special Drawing Rights as a supranational currency. SDRs are a unit of account, based on a basket of currencies, used in International Monetary Fund transactions.

“The dollar-based monetary system is no longer adequate for a larger and more integrated world economy,” it said. “Prominent developing economies are increasingly demanding to be included in any multilateral dialogue that aims to shape the new economic order.”

———

it will rival the usd and the euro..and when those currencies face a debasement..what will happen with the yuan?..will it become the premier cuurency?

The Chatham House report, which included a contribution from DeAnne
Julius, a former member of the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy
Committee, was titled “Beyond the Dollar: Rethinking the International
Monetary System.” Among its recommendations are a multicurrency reserve
system and increased use of Special Drawing Rights as a supranational
currency. SDRs are a unit of account, based on a basket of currencies,
used in International Monetary Fund transactions.

China would loveeeeeeeee to have their currency in the SDR basket!!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum