I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lawmaker calls on new government to address poverty in Iraq

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

littlekracker

Lawmaker calls on new government to address poverty in Iraq
Monday, November 22nd 2010 1:46 PM

Baghdad, Nov.22 (AKnews) – A lawmaker from the National Coalition (NC) called on the Iraqi government to develop a new strategy for fighting the country’s poverty. poverty iraq

Hajim al Hassani told AKnews that the new government is responsible for activating a new plan for fighting poverty and improving food security in the country.

Al Hassani explained that frequent financial aids can only be helpful in the short term but will not resolve the poverty issue in the long term, adding that the government needs to study all aspects of the issue carefully.

"Iraqi people should not be living in poverty where their country contains rich natural resources,” he said, blaming poor governmental planning for the country’s increasing food security problems.

The last report of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) placed Iraq among the 22 countries that suffer from acute poverty and lack of food security because of war and the failure of government institutions to provide the necessary sustenance.

The Iraqi Planning Ministry revealed earlier this year that the rate of poverty in Iraq stands at about 23%, equivalent to seven million people, who live below the poverty line on an individual income of less than 37,000 Iraqi Dinars (under $32) per month.

Reported by Jaafar al Wannan

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum