I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

UNAMI-July/2011

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1UNAMI-July/2011 Empty UNAMI-July/2011 Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 pm

windreader1

Misconceptions and bad information is floating on many forums regarding UNAMI. Even too the extent that some have posted that UNAMI will not be extended resulting in Chapter VII being lifted.

First UNAMI is not a Chapter VII program. Chapter VII deals with specific sanctions which are restrictions on what a country can do or cannot do. UNAMI is an assistance mission whose management has been tasked with assisting in the resolution of the Chapter VII sanctions. UNAMI’s assigned responsibility, however, is far broader and involves many more issues than Chapter VII. Section III of the SG latest report (S/2011/435) is a comprehensive list of UNAMI activities that are not Chapter VII issues.

If you don’t want to read the Secretary General’s entire report here is a very brief summary of what UNAMI is handling.

III. Activities of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq

A. Political activities
Addresses issues involving internal boundary disputes and the interaction with the UNAMI liaison office in Iran and related issues between the two countries.

B. Electoral assistance activities
Addresses technical preparations for forthcoming elections.

C. Technical preparations for the census
Addresses preparations for a nationwide census.

D. Development and humanitarian assistance
Addresses issues dealing with poverty, refugees, school enrollment, illiteracy rates, shortages of water, electrical and sanitation services, jobs, trust funds, food distribution and many other programs and services. This section also addresses the Iraq Briefing Book which is a 125 page report on Iraq.

E. Human rights activities
Addresses issues of assassinations, crimes against women and children, public demonstrations, prison system, human rights programs and commissions, development of a national human rights plan.

F. Security, operational and logistical issues
Addresses transition support for UNAMI forces from US to Iraqi security forces, new logistical arrangements for continued security support, establishing a UNAMI police liaison personnel team.

Chapter VII

The UNAMI report also includes the status of the Chapter VII issues. It is interesting to note, that once again, the Secretary General was critical of Iraq’s failure to resolve these issues. The following are quotes from the Secretary General’s report.

19. The Government of Iraq has yet to confirm its readiness to continue the Iraq-
Kuwait boundary maintenance project and contribute its share of the additional
funding required to complete the project. I have yet to receive a response from the
Government of Iraq to my note verbale dated 29 April 2011 requesting the
Government’s confirmation in this regard.

64. It is almost seven months now since the Security Council lifted a number of
Chapter VII mandates on Iraq, a move unanimously hailed as a major step towards
the normalization of its international status. I take this opportunity to reiterate my
personal commitment to seeing Iraq achieve full normalization of its international
status pursuant to Security Council resolution 1859 (2008). I therefore wish to
remind the Government of Iraq of the importance of demonstrating to the Security
Council tangible and expeditious progress on outstanding obligations pertaining to
Kuwait
, in particular missing Kuwaiti persons and property, including archives, and
the Iraq-Kuwait boundary maintenance project. I would also like to remind the Iraqi
authorities that the issue of compensation payments to Iraqi private citizens pursuant
to resolution 899 (1994) is still pending. The Department of Political Affairs is
awaiting a response to proposals it submitted to the Government of Iraq
in this
regard.[/b] I have consistently stated that progress on these fronts could create a
positive momentum and enable the Security Council to take up my report pursuant
to resolution 1859 (2008)
. In this context, both my Special Representative and Highlevel
Coordinator remain committed to assisting Iraq and Kuwait in bringing closure
to these long-standing Security Council mandates.

Once again the Secretary General refers to his 2008 report. This report detailed the analysis of all Chapter VII resolutions with a list of items that were still outstanding. To date, both the Security Council and Secretary General have remained committed to ensuring the completion of these items before Chapter VII will be eliminated.

See https://dinaroutcast.forumotion.com/t7620-chapter-vii-issues for further information regarding the 2008 report.

That takes us to the question of UNAMI renewal. The Secretary General has numerous references throughout the report regarding the continued commitment of UNAMI to Iraq. Here are a few quotes by the Secretary General.

“As we approach the renewal of the UNAMI mandate in the Security Council, I wish to assure the Government and people of Iraq of my strong personal commitment and that of the United Nations, to sustain our long-standing support for the country."

"UNAMI is also continuing preparations to ensure that it is able to sustain its presence in Kirkuk and Basra."

"To this end, the United Nations country team will continue to progressively expand its presence in Iraq."

"UNAMI will continue to provide capacity-building assistance to the Independent High Electoral Commission."

"UNAMI, with the support of the Security Council, is prepared to do all it can to support such efforts."

"In this context, both my Special Representative and Highlevel Coordinator remain committed to assisting Iraq and Kuwait in bringing closure to these long-standing Security Council mandates."

"I also express my sincere thanks to the Government of Iraq, and in particular, Prime Minister Al-Maliki, for agreeing to provide UNAMI with extended compound in Baghdad."

"Notwithstanding the challenging operating environment, UNAMI will continue to put in place the necessary arrangements to operate safely and effectively in Iraq."

Will UNAMI be renewed for another year? Yes, it will. The Secretary General has been very clear regarding the continued presence of UNAMI in Iraq. Will the Security Council make any changes to the responsibilities of the UNAMI program? They did in 2007 and could elect to do so again. They are scheduled to vote on the new resolution on the 28th, so we will have to wait and see what changes if any that the Security Council makes.

2UNAMI-July/2011 Empty Re: UNAMI-July/2011 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:44 pm

MrsCK

Thanks Mom!!!! Love your food for thought!!! I don't see much will change on the 28th since the report wasn't to good. To bad they can not just slap the GOI while saying "get your tail moving and do something". One article said it has been "16 MONTHS" since they had their election and still no totally seated GOI!!! oh my gosh it doesn't seem that long ago.

3UNAMI-July/2011 Empty Re: UNAMI-July/2011 Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:34 pm

lionheart

lionheart

Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum