I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Euro swaps market shows U.S. dollar funding stress

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

windreader1

Euro swaps market shows U.S. dollar funding stress
NEW YORK, July 29 | Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57am EDT

(Reuters) - The cost of raising U.S. dollar funds in the European currency swap market surged on Friday, suggesting increased demand for the greenback and heightened funding stress related to debt concerns in both the United States and euro zone.

The cross-currency basis swap, or the relative premium for swapping euro LIBOR for dollar LIBOR EURCBS1Y=ICAP, traded at -36.75 basis points on one-year contracts on Friday, its highest since February. On Thursday, one-year swaps closed at -36.50 basis points

Three-month cross-currency swaps were at -50.75 basis points EURCBS3M=ICAP on Friday, its highest since January from -45.50 basis points on Thursday

Wider spreads reflect elevated demand to borrow U.S. dollars in the currency forward market and often supports the greenback's spot value against the euro.

"While part of this may stem from renewed stresses in some of the European sovereign debt markets, the U.S. debt ceiling impasse may also be contributing to it as well," said Bob Lynch, chief currency strategist, at HSBC in New York.

"Despite the fact that...the dollar is seemingly at risk from the debt impasse, the stress and uncertainty associated with the process seems to have increased demand for dollar funding among non-U.S. banks."

Analysts said swap spreads between 30-40 basis points are a warning signal and would be problematic if they get into the 50s area.

One-year swaps had widened to record levels during the post-Lehman bankruptcy period in November 2008 when spreads surged to -102 basis points. That led to the introduction of currency swap lines between central banks, partly dampening the pressure on short-term dollar financing.

Traders said price action in the FX swaps market goes in hand in hand with movements in the euro/dollar exchange rate, with a robust correlation rate of almost 60 percent on a 25-day rolling basis.

windreader1

LIBOR

Definition of LIBOR (London Inter-Bank Offer Rate)

The interest rate that the banks charge each other for loans (usually in Eurodollars). This rate is applicable to the short-term international interbank market, and applies to very large loans borrowed for anywhere from one day to five years. This market allows banks with liquidity requirements to borrow quickly from other banks with surpluses, enabling banks to avoid holding excessively large amounts of their asset base as liquid assets. The LIBOR is officially fixed once a day by a small group of large London banks, but the rate changes throughout the day.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum