I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

At last, a recognition of the deep roots of the crisis

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

At last, a recognition of the deep roots of the crisis

Web posted at: 9/28/2009 0:21:3
Source ::: FINANCIAL TIMES

By Wolfgang Münchau

Global imbalances have finally made it on to the agenda of the Group of 20 summit. It looked for a while as though the world’s most powerful leaders, obsessed with the minutiae of banking regulation, would turn themselves into the political wing of the Basel committee. We are still a long way away from dealing with the underlying causes of the crisis in an effective manner, but at least there is now an official recognition that the crisis is not just about financial regulation and supervision, but that it has deeper roots in global macroeconomic policy.

Why do we need such an agenda? The reason is that large and persistent imbalances drive ever larger capital flows, which can destabilise the global economy. Since current account surpluses denote an excess of national savings over investments, this excess has to be either invested abroad directly, or it piles up at home in the form of foreign currency reserves, which are then rerouted into the global capital markets. Without excessive imbalances, the demand for products we now refer to as toxic assets would have been smaller.

Not everyone has signed up to the idea. It is perhaps no surprise that countries with persistent current account surpluses are sceptical. Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, warned that global imbalances were an “ersatz” issue, which served to deflect from the real agenda, by which I presume she meant the regulation of bonus payments. I never cease to be amazed how her coalition managed to frame this complex financial crisis purely in terms of Anglo-Saxon greed. When you are holding on to such a convenient narrative, you do not want to answer awkward questions about imbalances.

To address global imbalances, at least four questions need to be answered. The first is to what extent global imbalances are self-correcting? The idea is that changed household behaviour in the US might take care of the problem by itself. I would agree that the effect of deleveraging in the US private sector should not be underestimated. But I am not so optimistic that this alone will solve the problem. The countries with large current account surpluses and deficits all have problems that need to be addressed by policy. If we relied solely on the US for adjustment — in combination perhaps with a fall in the US dollar severe shocks could emerge elsewhere. A US-only adjustment could lead to a disastrous overshoot in the euro’s exchange rate, especially if half the world were to follow the US. So the answer is No, the problem is not fully self-correcting, and to the extent that it is not, we need to have a policy agenda.

The second question is how to deal with the eurozone. The eurozone as a whole has been running a small deficit. But there are large cross-country imbalances inside the eurozone. I used to believe that national current account deficits do not matter, but the crisis has demonstrated that political leaders treat the eurozone not as a true economic union but merely as a joint currency area that is comprised of sovereign states. The Germans invoke the eurozone defence when confronted with accusations of excessive current account surpluses, yet when the crisis broke, the policy response was unco-ordinated and nationalistic. By contrast, the French never cease to defend the notion of a eurozone polity, yet they torpedoed a joint eurozone external representation at the International Monetary Fund by insisting that France retain its seat. This is not an honest position. Foras long as the Europeans remain confused, it is best to treat imbalances as an issue for countries, not currency areas.

The third question refers to what policy action should be taken. The answer is that policy will have to be tailor-made to suit the specific circumstances of each country. China will probably not be able to reduce its excessive current account surplus without a revaluation of the renminbi. In Germany, the best overall macro-policy instrument would be a big tax cut to boost domestic demand. In the UK, restoration of balance will have to include heavy cuts in public spending, while Spain will also have to raise taxes, even in addition to last week’s announcement of a rise in value-added tax.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum