I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kurds reportedly agree to Kirkuk deal!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kurds reportedly agree to Kirkuk deal! Empty Kurds reportedly agree to Kirkuk deal! Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Kurds reportedly agree to Kirkuk deal!

Gregg Carlstrom | November 3, 2009 9:16 AM

I'll believe it when it's finalized, but this could be a significant breakthrough for Iraq's election law: Kurdish lawmakers have reportedly agreed to grant Kirkuk special status in the law.
The term "special status" is a reference to a U.N. proposal drafted in April. Kirkuk would be temporarily administered by both the central government in Baghdad and the Kurdish regional government in Arbil. The province would hold a referendum within five years to decide its final status.
Arabs support the proposal, because it gives the central government control over Kirkuk -- and thus its oil revenues. Kurds have previously threatened to boycott the election if special status is approved.

http://www.themajlis.org/2009/11/03/...to-kirkuk-deal

KA agrees to give Kirkuk special status – MP

November 3, 2009 - 02:01:56

Lawmaker from the Iraqi Accord Front, Rashied Azzawi, said on Tuesday that the Kurdistan Alliance (KA) agreed to give Kirkuk a special status within the election law.

“I expect to reach an agreement on Kirkuk within the coming hours, noting that Arabs, Turkmen and Kurds agreed to give Kirkuk a special status,” the lawmaker told Aswat al-Iraq news agency.

“The disagreement still exists on the additional seats,” he explained.

“The quota system will be a problem for Arabs and Turkmen, and this is the reason some of them do not want it,” he added.

Throughout the past week, the Iraqi Parliament has failed to pass the elections bill due to differences over the status of the oil-rich city of Kirkuk in the law on parliamentary elections, scheduled to be held on January 16, 2010.

The Kurds, who form the majority of the population in Kirkuk, have long demanded that the province be incorporated in their autonomous region in the north despite the opposition of its Arab and Turkmen communities.

The political deadlock threatens the poll as the electoral law is supposed to be in place 90 days before voting takes place. Constitutionally, the election must be held by January 31.

http://en.aswataliraq.info/?p=121377

windreader1

This should be good news for everyone, now lets see if they can pass the law. Anyone want to take any bets on yea or nay?

Good find, Thump. I have been looking and found nothing.

these are articles are from today...we know by tomorrow and the Kurds have slept on it...someone will wake up and say "oh no we can't do thatttttt"...then back to square one AGAIN!!

I'll be nayyyyy they can't get it done this week.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum