I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

UN pays out $674.2 million from Iraqi oil fund

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

The Associated Press January 28, 2010, 4:49AM ET

UN pays out $674.2 million from Iraqi oil fund

GENEVA

The U.N. panel overseeing compensation for victims of Iraq's 1990 Kuwait invasion said Thursday it has paid $674.2 million from Iraqi oil funds to cover losses from the war.

The U.N. Compensation Commission said the money would go to five private corporations and five government or international bodies. It did not disclose the identities of the claimants.

The commission, made up of the 15 U.N. Security Council member countries, has so far paid out nearly $29 billion. Another $23.5 billion is earmarked to go to nine more unidentified claimants.

Money to pay the claims comes from Iraqi oil sales.

Until the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq that toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003, the commission received 25 percent of the proceeds from the U.N. oil-for-food program, which allowed the former Iraqi regime to sell oil and buy food, medicine and other humanitarian goods despite international sanctions.

Since the invasion, the amount the commission receives from Iraqi oil exports has been reduced to 5 percent.

In 2008, the commission asked member nations to help it recover more than $80 million in overpayments made to several thousand claimants.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum