I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Germany Preparing to Exit the Euro?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is Germany Preparing to Exit the Euro? Empty Is Germany Preparing to Exit the Euro? Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

(if anyone reads our forum they know CK's been predicting this for a while)

Is Germany Preparing to Exit the Euro?

August 31 2011

Hans-Olaf Henkel’s piece in yesterday’s Financial Times is making waves. Okay, Henkel is an odious man, but my view, which was once considered borderline crazy, is now getting more serious consideration. The Germans were willing to go into a currency union because by construction that agreement removed the weapon exchange rate depreciation from its competitors. German real wage discipline, labor productivity gains, and engineering innovation could not be undercut at the stroke of a pen. Recall that there are basically 3 Germanys:

Germany #1 being the Bundesbank and “finanzkapital”, which retains huge phobias about the recurrence of Weimar-style hyperinflation, and retains an almost theological belief in “sound money”. It is the Germany of closet gold bugs and Austrian economists, who believe in hard money, “responsible” fiscal policy and the like, and who were basically always antithetical to the euro as a big and broad union. Then you had the “Europeanists”, led by Kohl who essentially argued that you solve the “German problem” by binding Germany ever more fully into a pan-European framework, the currency union being a key part of that. The swing vote was Germany #3, Industrial Germany which bought into the idea of the currency union precisely because it locked Germany’s industrial competitors at a fixed exchange and removed the expedient of devaluation.

It seems to me, however, that the swing vote is beginning to have 2nd thoughts, as they wrongly consider the “costs” to the country through these repeated bailouts. This concern seems to be overriding the obvious benefits of having “profligate” Mediterranean countries buying yet more German imports.

It is striking to me that Henkel, a big player in the German industrial complex, is now leading the charge for withdrawal. It might suggest that an important political dynamic in Germany has shifted. German policy makers would have to conclude there is no plausible exchange rate for the Neuro and the Pseudo (or Soro?) that would cause a problem for their current account surplus and their export led growth strategy. Or they would have to conclude that is the “least worst” option given the political backlash of more subsidized loans to Greece, Portugal, etc.

The other point is this: Multinationals don’t care about where demand comes from as long as it is increasing somewhere and they are allowed to go after it.

Labor arbitrage is the additional icing on the cake. So policies that build unsustainable imbalances between countries and have bad social outcomes are fine with them as long as they can roam the globe freely to take advantage of the demand wherever it pops up.

This probably remains true so long as the ultimate price of these polices don’t get shared with the multinational (in the form of taxation or additional regulation). So far the multinationals have it good in that costs are falling disproportionately on others. That could well change if there was a “solidarity” tax imposed on profits instead of the populace.

Return of the German Mark?

http://wallstreetpit.com/82856-is-ge...-exit-the-euro

MrsCK

Germany will be gone in less then 2 weeks from now is what germany is saying!

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

more...

September 1, 2011 5:39 pm

Germany backs calls to widen IMF currency basket

By Gerrit Wiesmann in Berlin
China could move closer to letting its currency float more freely if it was easier for the renminbi to join the mechanism that underpins the International Monetary Fund’s own reserve currency, Berlin said on Thursday.

Clearer rules for joining the currency basket behind the IMF’s special drawing rights (SDRs) “would increase the incentives for emerging market countries to promote greater internationalisation of their currency”, according to Jörg Asmussen, Germany’s deputy finance minister. The IMF holds SDRs, underpinned by the dollar, euro, yen and pound, as its reserve currency.

Speaking at a closed-door session of policymakers and central bankers from the Group of 20 leading economies, Mr Asmussen threw Germany’s weight behind calls by China, Brazil and France to widen the pool of currencies behind SDRs. China in 2008 suggested that SDRs could eventually replace the US dollar as a global reserve currency and said the renminbi and other developing countries’ currencies should be better represented in the underlying basket.

It argues that broadening the SDR’s currency constituency could turn what is currently more of an accounting unit into a global reserve currency like the dollar and euro, easing world trade and adding to the stability of the global financial system.

Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, has put the initiative on the agenda of the Cannes summit of G20 leaders at the start of November. Thursday’s workshop at the European Central Bank in Frankfurt was meant to help lay the ground fro that meeting.

But the proponents of the idea face opposition from the US and even the ECB, which argue that currencies have to be widely traded and freely convertible to join the SDR basket. The US has been particularly critical of China’s exchange rate policy, arguing that Beijing keeps the renminbi artificially low against the dollar to help its export industry.

Mr Asmussen said, “clearer and more transparent” membership criteria – such as the liquidity of a currency in foreign exchange markets – could encourage countries gradually to liberalise currency regimes.

As a result, emerging market countries in particular could have a fresh incentive to commit to reforms such as “promoting capital account liberalisation, currency convertibility and exchange rate flexibility”, Mr Asmussen said, according to a script seen by the Financial Times.

He conceded that internationalisation could still be slow “in particular as regards the prime candidate, the Chinese renminbi”. But Mr Asmussen said the process in China would then be driven not simply by the authorities’ willingness to liberalise but also by “market participants” willing to trade in renminbi.

Other observers argue that membership of the SDR is a minor concern for China in its long-term plan to make its currency more easily convertible.

Among the “first signs” of progress, Mr Asmussen, co-chair of the G20 working group on the reform of the international monetary system, said the country already met the export criterion of the SDR basket. Steps to make it easier for foreign companies to trade in renminbi were also a step “in the right direction”.

w8tin

wow...wonder what the exchange rate will be..I remember when you could get a lot of DMs for 1 USD...but then that was 'back in the day'..

5Is Germany Preparing to Exit the Euro? Empty Re: Is Germany Preparing to Exit the Euro? Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:17 pm

gente

gente

w8tin wrote:wow...wonder what the exchange rate will be..I remember when you could get a lot of DMs for 1 USD...but then that was 'back in the day'..

Probably the other way around now...

6Is Germany Preparing to Exit the Euro? Empty Re: Is Germany Preparing to Exit the Euro? Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

beats me......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum