I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iraq ousts central bank chief over corruption probe

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

windreader1

BAGHDAD | Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40pm BST

(Reuters) - Iraq's government removed central bank chief Sinan al-Shibibi on Tuesday over a corruption inquiry opened by lawmakers into bank officials suspected of abusing dollar sales.

Shibibi's dismissal will do little to reassure investors who fear the government is trying to curb the autonomy of financial institutions from the central bank to the stock market. Last year Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki won a court ruling that put the bank and other independent entities under cabinet supervision.

The cabinet appointed Abdul-Basit Turki, the head of the government spending watchdog, Iraq's Board of Supreme Audit, to run the central bank "until further notice" over the corruption charges, Maliki's media adviser Ali al-Moussawi said.

Lawmakers investigating corruption in the central bank say they found violations in dollar sales by the bank for importing goods, false documents for importers, and a lack of control of how dollar auctions were monitored.

An independent watchdog is now studying those findings, but no official charges have been filed, according to the spokesman of the Integrity Commission.

"The government knows its interests and what it sees as best for its interests, this is up to the government and we are not objecting," Mudher Kasim, deputy governor of the central bank, said on Tuesday.

The corruption charges are the latest chapter in a long-running dispute between the government and its allied lawmakers and the central bank board over the institution's autonomy.

Since an inconclusive 2010 election, opponents of Maliki, a Shi'ite, have accused him of failing to fulfil power-sharing agreements in Iraq's delicate sectarian and ethnic balance among Shi'ite, Sunni and Kurdish political blocs. He accuses them of blocking his attempts to make the government work.

Some lawmakers said the central bank should stay independent despite the dismissal.

"The government attempted to put this important body under its supervision and its administration," said Sharif Sulaiman, a Kurdish lawmaker in the financial committee. "This institute is under parliament supervision and it should stay like that."
Maliki dismisses criticism among Sunnis, Shi'ite and Kurdish parties in his power-sharing government that he is shoring up his own position by trying to control government institutions, including the central bank and security ministries.

Since the U.S.-led invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein in 2003, Iraq has struggled to crack down on corruption especially as oil revenues increased as the petroleum industry benefited from foreign investment and bolstered production.

Despite its oil wealth, Iraq still needs investment in almost every sector from housing to power generation and hospitals.

(Reporting by Aseel Kami; Editing by Patrick Markey and David Stamp)

gente

gente

WHOA...Maliki's been at Shabs' heels ever since he got into power...he really wants control of the CBI...wonder how this bodes for us holding Dinar?

windreader1

Yupper, going to be interesting to see how this is viewed by the UN, IMF and World Bank.

gente

gente

I'm thinking these are trumped up charges by M's goon squad...

MrsCK

Maliki is a idiot! He has been trying to get his hands on the DFI fund for years. So while shabibi went to the IMF meeting in hong kong over the weekend, Dictator Maliki throws Shabibi under the bus???? I just do not know what to think. I do know many are "flaming" out over this. Guess time will tell what happens.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum