I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

SG report on Kuwait-Iraq issues

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SG report on Kuwait-Iraq issues Empty SG report on Kuwait-Iraq issues Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:00 pm

windreader1

Excerpts from the Secretary General's report.  Additional information regarding the significance of this activity can be found at:

https://dinaroutcast.forumotion.com/t11120-sc-update-june-2013

https://dinaroutcast.forumotion.com/t11142-ban-recommends-unsc-ending-high-level-coordinator-s-mandate

S/2013/357

Thirty-fifth report of the Secretary-General pursuant to paragraph 14 of resolution 1284 (1999)

26. The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Iraq also indicated in his letter that in the event that the mission of UNAMI came to an end, the representative of the Secretariat could remain in his functions if necessary. The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs of Kuwait also underlined that the Security Council should adopt a resolution that contained the following principal elements: (a) the follow-up of those issues would not end with the termination of the mandate of UNAMI; (b) the periodic reports of the Secretary-General on the issues of missing Kuwaiti and third-country nationals and missing Kuwaiti property, including the national archives, should be submitted on dates other than those of his reports on the activities of UNAMI; and (c) a UNAMI official whose sole responsibility would be to follow up on those issues should be designated (see S/2013/324, annex).

28. Having carefully considered the views expressed by Iraq and Kuwait about the future of the mandate set out in paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999) and noting their broad commonality, I would like to recommend to the Council that the mandate of the High-level Coordinator be terminated and its functions transferred to UNAMI, to be carried out under Chapter VI of the Charter. I take note of the proposals made by Iraq and Kuwait referred to in paragraph 26 above. Should the Council adopt a resolution, I will ensure its full implementation.

29. The Governments of Iraq and Kuwait have demonstrated statesmanship and respect for each other’s national interests in reaching a mutually acceptable and beneficial arrangement. Should the Security Council agree with my recommendation, Iraq will exit Chapter VII with regard to this file and will be one step closer to restoring its international standing prior to resolution 661 (1990), an objective long sought by the leadership of the country following the removal of the regime of Saddam Hussein. The transfer of responsibilities for the facilitation of the search for the missing Kuwaiti and third-country nationals, or their remains, to UNAMI ensures the continued work on this humanitarian file under Chapter VI.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum