I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Analysis: Singapore SGD Appreciation Move May Presage China's

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

littlekracker

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 03:46
Analysis: Singapore SGD Appreciation Move May Presage China's

BEIJING (MNI) - The announcement by the Singapore central bank that it had shifted to a policy of gradual currency appreciation could be, at least in part, a preemptive move aimed at avoiding any speculative frenzy which would follow the depegging of the yuan against the dollar, analysts said.

They were speaking after the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) said that it plans to shift its Singapore dollar policy band to allow for a "modest and gradual appreciation" to head off rising domestic inflation pressure.

But analysts said that the MAS announcement could also represent a pre-emptive strike to mitigate the impact on regional currency markets that would undoubtedly follow in the wake of a move on the Chinese exchange rate.

"My thinking is that (the MAS) knows that something is coming sooner rather than later," said Tim Condon, an economist with ING in Singapore. "They won't have a really agitated day when the revaluation occurs as the market will bypass them and look around the region for where currencies haven't adjusted."

The MAS decision was released in the wake of a report from the Asian Development Bank on Tuesday which called on the region's central banks to intervene less in the currency markets. It warned on the "serious repercussions of macroeconomic management in the region."

China is thought to be a leading culprit for the perceived undervaluation of Asian exchange rates as regional economies compete for export market share. Yuan appreciation will provide room for other Asian currencies to rise, analysts believe.

The ADB report cited a study from the Peterson Institute released in January which calculated that the yuan is 40.7% undervalued, but also that the Malaysian ringgit is 30.5% undervalued, that the Taiwan dollar's undervaluation is estimated at 28.5%, with Singapore's at 24.7%.

"We have a general issue in Asia where keeping currencies cheap via intervention pegs their economies to the Federal Reserve and with Asian growth much stronger than the U.S., Fed monetary policy is inappropriate so interest rates must rise and currencies must appreciate," said Callum Henderson, head of forex strategy at Standard Chartered Bank in Singapore.

There is something of a precedent for Singapore's move. On the evening of July 21, 2005, shortly after China announced it was ending the yuan's peg to the U.S. dollar and moving to a managed float, Malaysia's central bank said that it would do the same with the ringgit.

While China has so far resisted calls to let the yuan appreciate -- which arguably kept held other Asian currencies from appreciating -- speculation is rising of a near-term move.

In recent weeks, Washington has toned down its rhetoric on Beijing's exchange rate policies, culminating in Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner's decision to delay the release of a report which could have named China a currency manipulator and so opened the door to punitive action against China's currency practices.

In turn, the Chinese government has adopted a more cooperative diplomatic tack with Washington in recent weeks.

There is speculation that Beijing has given Washington some kind of assurance that it is preparing to move to end the yuan's 18 month-old dollar peg in the near term and allow the currency to rise. The New York Times reported last Thursday that a consensus is forming in the Chinese State Council about the need for the yuan to rise as an anti-inflation measure, sending a jolt through the currency markets.

Although the report's impact has since died off, China is widely expected to unveil the next phase in its currency reforms in the coming months.

Ben Simpfendorfer, an economist with the Royal Bank of Scotland in Hong Kong, said that the Singapore authority's inflation assessment justified the move on its own, but also acknowledged that possible policy moves in Beijing may have played a role.

"If I was Singapore, and with the odds of China moving over the next six months, that's what I'd do," he said.

The risk is that the expected move by China either doesn't come or falls far short of market expectations. Non-deliverable forward markets are pricing in appreciation of around 3% over the next 12 months, though some forecasts are for a much more aggressive rise.

"After Geithner delayed the report, the ringgit accelerated as the market speculated on a (yuan) move -- the risk is that when that move happens, the extent of it will disappoint," said Standard Chartered's Henderson.

littlekracker

ok..heres a very good article to back what MrsCK has been saying for a VERY LONG TIME...you cant just focus on what Iraq says...LOOK OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks ck for your perspective on world economy and helping us follow the facts. I hope things are starting to line up but it is a waiting game..wait wait wait....lol

GOOD FIND LK!!!! The fun has finally started!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for listening to my crazy world economy layout by phone.....LOL sorry if I scrambled your poor brain too.....lmaooooooooooo

littlekracker

lol ck...i've told my therapist to send you the bill...in fact, a little therapy wouldnt hurt you either...lmaoooooooooooooooo...إنكم مضحك جدا.. يسعون العلاج لول...

LK LOLOLOL

نصل الى اتفاق على مجموعة
العلاج هنا في منبوذين لول نراكم في حلقة هذه الليلة!

Flattire

I thought it was a requirement here to have a therapist so i got 2!
Shocked

Flattire wrote:I thought it was a requirement here to have a therapist so i got 2!
Shocked

lmaooooooooooooooo LK needs 7...one for each day of the week!....I only need 12, one for each month of the year!

littlekracker

omg ck..who are you trying to kid?...lol..you need 2 a day that speak arabic

littlekracker wrote:omg ck..who are you trying to kid?...lol..you need 2 a day that speak arabic

OH no way!! I only need 1 arabic and 1 chinesse...since you make me read!!!!!!!!!! all the china articles you post!!!.......so it half your fault I'm insane!!!

Flattire

I love our family!!! everyone in timeout Shocked

littlekracker

omg...you were insane waaaaaaaaaaaay before my time..and only 2 therapist..puh-leeeeeease..who ya trying to kid..lol

Flattire wrote:I love our family!!! everyone in timeout Shocked

LK is making a mess here in time out!!! Can I leave now?

littlekracker

no ck..you must stay and suffer with the rest of us....lol

w8tin

um...my license to practice is still active and in good standing...so if you are needing another therapist...my couch/sofa is available! Any of you ever looked at the word, Therapist? Break it down and it is: "the rapist"! guess we therapists rearrange your brains and in reality we are all neurotic as hell...least I am!

Flattire

party at w8tin house!!!!

hagg

my therapy comes in a rocks glass and tastes like good bourbon

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

like the old saying "if you see a harley in front of a psychiatrist office....it doesn't belong to the patient"....
my therapy is riding, but a touch of bourbon isn't unheaard of.

littlekracker

ok...after the rv..i think its GROUP therapy time....lol

w8tin

you all are cracking me up Razz

littlekracker

lol w8tin..its nice to have a group that has a good time..it's a good way to get some comic relief while we are on this ride..there are good people here

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum