I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

UN 7/21: HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NOON BRIEFING

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1UN 7/21:  HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NOON BRIEFING Empty UN 7/21: HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NOON BRIEFING Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:45 pm

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NOON BRIEFING

BY FARHAN HAQ

ASSOCIATE SPOKESPERSON FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL BAN KI-MOON

U.N. HEADQUARTERS, NEW YORK

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

UNHCR REVIEWS OPERATIONS FOR RETURNEES, REFUGEES AND IDPs IN IRAQ

The UN Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees, L. Craig Johnstone, is in Iraq today as part of a five-day mission to review UNHCR's operations for returnees, refugees and internally displaced people and to hold a series of meetings with Iraqi officials.

In his meetings, Johnstone acknowledged the improvement in security inside Iraq and described the situation as much healthier compared to his last visit two years ago. He also urged the Iraqi government to engage more with Iraqi refugees outside of Iraq and to include them in national reconciliation efforts.

The Deputy High Commissioner also commended the Iraqi Government for implementing a compensation package for returnees and internally displaced families. He stressed, however, that much more needs to be done, and he added that there will not be a solution to the Iraqi situation as a whole until the plight of displaced people and refugees has been resolved.

http://www.un.org/News/ossg/hilites.shtml

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum