I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Naji: Security Council resolution allows Iraq to demand compensation from Israel

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Naji: Security Council resolution allows Iraq to demand compensation from Israel
12 01 2010 11:02 12 01 2010 11:02

BAGHDAD (AP) - A deputy from the coalition of the Iraqi National Mohammad Naji compensate Iraq for the damage suffered by the Israeli aggression by bombing the Osirak reactor in June 7, 1981 through the formation of a neutral committee shall assess the compensation due to Iraq bomb damage.

Naji said in an interview with the Agency (Iraq is our home) on Monday that "the Security Council resolution on July reactions nuclear bombing by Israel gives Iraq without a doubt the right to demand appropriate compensation for losses suffered due to this aggression, which is recognized by Israel."

Nagy called the Iraqi Foreign Ministry to "use diplomatic means to restore the rights through the activation of the UN resolution on the right of Iraq to obtain financial compensation from Israel, and the need to approach the Secretary-General of the United Nations or the Security Council to give effect to resolution."

The Naji said the Foreign Ministry was not serious and negative to pursue the matter, he said adding that Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari had uncovered in the host in the House of Representatives last month, a government communications and consultations and the search for the means available to seek compensation from Israel's bombing of the Osirak reactor in 1981.

Under Security Council resolution No. 487 in the year 1981 "on Iraq's right to compensation from the Israeli attack on the Osirak nuclear power, and the Security Council strongly condemned the raid, the military, and calls upon Israel to refrain in future from actions of this kind or threat of force," while Paragraph VI of the resolution that "Iraq has the right to compensation for the destruction, who was killed, which Israel recognized its responsibility for and requests the Secretary-General to inform the Security Council regularly on the progress of the implementation of this resolution."

windreader1

I read it and it not a resolution that was issued under Chapter VII, therefore the elements of the resolution cannot be enforced. It does raise a number of questions. Is the Resolution still active? Was another resolution issued at a later point that addressed this issue? Any issue that is before the SC is dropped after five years if the issue has not had any activity against it and if no SC council member
requests that it be kept on the agenda. Is there an international statute of limitations that would be applicable? This very well could be a case that Iraq could file with the International Court of Justice. Good topic and one that requires a lot more research.

OK mom...will research it first thing in the morning...thanks....have to have something to do at 5am over coffee LOL

windreader1

This is what I have found so far. The SC did not issue another resolution. I have researched up to 1991 when all the activity started on the Iraq/Kuwait invasion. The SG did not issue a report back to the SC that I can find in either 1981 or 1982 on this resolution. The issue was still on the list of items on the SC agenda for 1982. Still researching to see if or when it got dropped from the SC agenda. Will post more if I find anything relevant.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum